Here's a roadmap.
I can go through a pile of bad flicks in the time it takes to
one sub-par novel. And I'm all about efficiency. So, despite a
freakish literary comprehension, I seldom read for pure pleasure.
When I do...
- Coupland has been consistently weird and funny for twenty years.
And he writes exceptional dialogue.
- Palahniuk is hit and miss. But his prose is infectiously
- Hemingway was great with structure and grand themes.
- Rand wrote one decent book, with strong themes (but she
over-romanticized her characters).
- Someone convinced me to check out Franzen recently. I think his
social commentary distracts from the narrative, but our personal
sensibilities are parallel.
I like words, ideas, and nuanced complexities.
- anything by the Nolans, the Coens, or Kaufman
- I Heart Huckabees
- Me and You and Everyone We Know
Mostly "high brow" sit-coms and home renovation shows.
- I actually watched Arrested Development when it was ON.
- Peep Show
- The Thick of It
- Neon Genesis: Evangelion
- Holmes on Homes
- Income Property
(Podcast are "shows," too, right?)
- Real Time (this is what you do when you don't have HBO,
- Stop Podcasting Yourself (where half the joke is placing
- Adam Carolla
- The Mike O'Meara Show
I'm the type who listens to music with his eyes closed wearing
obscenely expensive headphones.
Sure, there's nostalgia. It will go unmentioned.
Then there's the alt-rock I stumbled into while developing my ear
as a teen.
- Tori Amos
- Sunny Day Real Estate
- Rage Against the Machine
After that, I settled into hip-hop. My preferences have taken
British formalism (which eventually progressed from trip-hop to
- Cinematic Orchestra
- Tim Hecker
Abstract lyricism. It doesn't have to be underground. But the words
are the music.
- MF DOOM
(a lot of local talent as well, actually)
I attempt to follow a slow carb / paleo diet. But I'm not religious
The two cultures that handle this best are Mexican and Indian. So,
when salads get boring, I eat some fusion of the cuisine from those
By request, I will elaborate, for the curious.