So here's a TLDR:
- learning new things
- math/computer science
- cuddling <3
- playing boardgames
- playing computer games (single player, co-op and team based multiplayer ones)
- reading science fiction/fantasy literature and the stuff that falls in between (the atmosphere in Patricia McKillips books is really nice, some of the books by China Miéville are awesome and Haruki Murakami is just plain amazing. Also G. R. R. Martin's The Song of Ice and Fire series is excellent.)
- my taste in graphic novels seems to be some combination of non-mainstream manga (Yoshihiro Tatsumis translated gekiga collections and his autobiography about the birth of the gekiga style are some of my favourites) and some european more documentary style graphic novels like Persepolis and Logicomix, but I do read other stuff as well and try to look for more other kind of interesting stuff every now and then
- I like all kinds of movies and try to visit the bigger local film festivals every year (Love & Anarchy, Espoo Ciné and Docpoint). Usually I end up watching at least 70 movies at the festivals every year.
- I also really like singing
- one day I'd like to learn to play drums
I'm studying for the sake of studying. That is, I think stuff like programming languages, math and theoretical computer science is awesome, and the feeling you get when you finally understand something difficult or solve a challenging problem is something incredible.
I also really like teaching in the university environment. When you explain something to someone and you can see that you just got him/her to grasp something it makes you feel pretty good.
I don't seem to be the most stereotypical student since I really dislike working alone. I'm the sort of person who thinks solving mathematical problems can be a fun social activity and most of my solo projects tend to start collecting dust rather fast (or whatever it is that happens to forgotten bits on a hard drive). This has had the unfortunate effect of me not bothering with any theses, but I'm working on it.
When I'm not studying or working I'm most likely spending time with my friends, quite often playing board games or video games with them.
When I'm alone, I spend time reading books and graphic novels, playing video games and watching movies, TV series and documentaries. I like visiting the local film festivals (most notably Rakkautta & Anarkiaa, Espoo Ciné and Docpoint).
I have a tendency to get really focused on something and forget about everything else. For example, I've watched over 40 movies during a 10 day film festival. I'm not very good at following social mediums, as I kind of forget about them every now and then. Though a smart phone and a tablet have helped with this.