So what makes me different than every other lovelorn geek you’ve ever met in a coffee shop? Well, I’m probably a bit more driven, and almost definitely more educated. I have my life more or less together—I know exactly where I want to be in five years. I’m fascinated by a lot of things—I can spend hours reading Wikipedia. (I’m told I can sound like a know-it-all at times, but it’s not purposeful. I’m not trying to show off—I’m trying to share cool things!) I have a mischievous sense of humor: I’ve been known to anagram signs, to leave silly stickers in restaurants’ menus, and to get library books signed (to the library itself) by the authors before returning them. I’m also in pretty good shape, since I commute by bike. I have an artistic streak, working mostly in stained glass. And I believe in regularly doing things that terrify me. (I’ve done the World Naked Bike Ride in Portland three times now, just because.)
Something I’ve realized in the past year: I really do want to have kids and a family. However I’m also open to something more short-term, so long as I can figure out how to avoid anyone getting hurt.
In my free time I’ve got a ton of projects, from the above-mentioned stained glass and other art, to working on a textbook, to writing faux love advice web pages. Recently I’ve also started volunteering at the Humane Society, and I'm biking as often as I can as weather permits.
Something I’m really bad at: faces. I am genuinely, honestly, face-blind. It’s genetic—my dad’s the same way. I can recognize people I know well, but finding someone I’ve only seen in a photo in a crowded bar is almost impossible for me. (It also means that if I’ve looked at your profile multiple times, it’s probably because I didn’t recognize your picture and needed some context to remember you.)
• Books: A Song of Ice and Fire, Startide Rising, The Anubis Gates, A Night in the Lonesome October, The Kingkiller Chronicle, Brightsided
• Movies: The Big Lebowski, The Secret of NIMH, Serenity, The Muppet Movie
• Shows: While I don’t have a TV, I’m quite fond of 30 Rock, the Muppets, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, and almost anything by Joss Whedon.
• Music: REM, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, Tori Amos, Yehuda Poliker
• Foods: sushi & red wine!
• Computers — especially my various Linux boxes.
• Family — they’re important, even my nutcase hippie-Republican father.
• Friends — a little trite maybe, but they’re still important.
• Kitties — they keep me sane.
• The Pacific Northwest — I fit in here so much better than the other places I’ve lived.
• Ways to create more mischief.
• Ways to teach computers well.
• Ways to add a little more strangeness to the world.
It’s very rare that I’ll write anyone de novo, and only if they really appeal to me somehow. This puts me at a distinct disadvantage on this site, but I’d like to think that I have high standards. (Corollary: if I wrote you, it means that I really liked something about your profile.)
Also, I try to write everyone back, even if it’s just a “no thank you”. I know that you’re a real person with real feelings, and I try to respect that.