I'm a nerd, and I know everyone is a nerd now, but I still remember when it was a very bad thing, so I'm a little old-school that way. That said, I'm not really focused enough to be a geek about anything.
I live in the Bronx, so I see the disparities of race all the time; if you harumph the idea of privilege, don't write to me.
I dislike misogyny. Most of my friends are in the burlesque community -- strong, independently minded creative women, and the men (and women, and betweens, and neithers) who love them. I like art and artsy people without really being artsy myself. (I do art, but it's not artsy if you're drinking Corona while doing it.)
I am including the following because a friend, who has long mined the comedy gold of online dating, has opined that this is vital information:
1. I will return texts and emails (Caveat: I often lose my phone, or let it run out of power. But when I do see them, I will respond.) NOTE: I almost NEVER check voice mail, you're better off with text or email.
2. I won't expect sex from you immediately (Not that I'd necessarily have a problem with it either.)
3. I'll be as honest about what I'm looking for as my self-awareness permits.
4. I have a job (I'm looking for a better one. Not for you; for me.)
5. I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance to see someone.
6. I won't text people during our date (exception for emergencies).
7. I won't judge you on superficial things like which bands you like or where you live. (I will still make fun of you over these things, because I do that with everyone, over everything. I'm a smartass.)
8. I'm not obsessed with an ex (Note, though, that my BFF is technically my ex, but he's a guy now, so it's not the same thing. If this notion weirds you out at all, we're not going to get along anyway)
9. I like cats (I'm allergic, but a Claritin takes care of that. Also, I'm not a cat *freak*, but I like 'em okay.)
10. I'll actually show up, I won't cancel the night before (again, emergencies excepted; this would include real significant illness) or ask you out only to flake and disappear (I might be late, as I'm not great at getting places in the time it should take; cards on the table, yo).
11. I won't lie about my age or height, or neglect to tell you I have kids on my profile.
12. I have kids.