cause I don't think that they'd understand;
when everything's made to be broken,
I just want you to know who I am."
~Goo Goo Dolls, Iris
Ok, so my profile has been in need of updating for some time now... Let's see if it can continue to live up to its reputation after said update... :
What do you need to know about me?
Hmm. Good question. It probably depends on what you're looking for, what your values are, etc...
Some facts about me that I think are fairly important:
- I'm a pretty smart cookie. I think. A lot. I require the same in those around me. I'd say, *generally speaking,* how close you get to me and your thoughtfulness/intelligence (in some form or another) is usually positively correlated.
- Similarly, but differently, I'm highly introspective. I really need this in a partner. It is optional for friendship. This basically means, you need to understand yourself - well. If you're introspective, you're aware of what you do, think, & feel, and can analyze yourself & the world around you in relation to these things.
- I have my masters degree (M.Ed., 2010), as well as a B.A. in Psychology (2006).
- I tend to be introverted, although I do "come out of my shell" around friends & those I know well. That said, I do prefer staying in to going out. However, ideally I prefer to be around those that can encourage me (gently) to get out more often. My "ideal" match would be equally happy staying in or going out, but is slightly less reclusive than I am (& can give me good reasons to get out). :)
- I am an INFP on the MBTI. My "I" & "F" scores vary quite a bit toward the center at times, although the "N" & "P" scores are pretty static. If you know what this means, it'll tell you something about me. If you don't, then don't worry with it. :P
- I am technically a "pescatarian." It means I'm vegetarian, except that I eat seafood (fish, shrimp, etc.) too. I do eat animal bi-products (eggs, cheese, milk, etc., and am therefore not vegan). I do not eat poultry (chicken, duck, etc.), though. Just fishies. ^_^ [I don't care what those around me choose to eat or not eat. That said, I imagine it would be hard to coexist with someone who's macrobiotic, but even that can be compromised.]
- I can be very playful at times. I need someone who can be playful too! Knowing to how to balance the seriousness & intensity with the playful & goofy side is highly valued!!
- While I do enjoy being playful, I can also be serious. That has to be tolerated. I do get depressed at times, although I think I manage it pretty well. In many ways, I have enjoyable characteristics that arise from it - a wry & sometimes morbid sense of humor (hey, it's *funny*!), cynicism (which can be quite enjoyable), & a realistic (although sometimes bleak) perception of the world. I *do* like being around people who can remind me of positive spin to things. But if you're the type of person that *needs* someone else that's upbeat all the time, I cannot meet that need.
- I love dogs. I have 2 of my own. One does sleep in bed with me. She always has, and is sort of like a "daughter" to me. While compromise is possible, this is something I'd rather not be an issue.
- I like doing arts & crafts - type things. I have a substantial need for creative activities of some kind (although I tend to lack talent, unfortunately). I enjoy being around others who like these thing too, although it's not a necessity. Some of the hobbies in this area I enjoy are: scrapbooking, collaging, pottery, working with clay (various types), etc.. :)
- I also really like shell-collecting & beachcombing. I can't help but look for shells when I walk the beach. It's like a treasure hunt!
- Somewhat related, I enjoy thrift shopping. I like finding good deals, & especially enjoy finding treasures hidden away in the most unlikely places! I can spend hours in a big thrift shop, going from store to store on the weekends, etc. I try not to do this when I know my company isn't as enthused. Still, if you enjoy it too, that's a huge plus. ^_^
- Other collection-related things: I tend to "collect" books. I'm a bibliophile. I love the smell of paper, and one of the best smells in the world is the earthy smell of musty old books. Needless to say, I love big libraries and used bookstores.
Hmm... That should give you a pretty good idea of my general personality and interests. Enough to know if we'd get along or not, I think? :)
If you're still reading, are curious and wanting to know more, or aren't scared away yet, feel free to continue. If not, I'm assuming you'll have already long left this page!
Some other bits of info, leftover on here from days past...
I love doing research and have a passion for academia. Learning is an important, life-long activity that I am always pursuing. One of my dream jobs is to work with OKtrends (part of OKC's crew that produces those amazing & fantabulous studies)!! I think it's be the coolest thing ever, and so much fun!... and yes, I make up words on the spot. Often. It's fun and amusing.
In the past, I've been a hardcore gamer/raider, admittedly addicted to World of Warcraft (Ashtoreth, lvl 80 Night Elf Druid). Unfortunately, I have not played in several years. I'm not sure if I'll ever pick it back up or not. I have also tried Rift, which I greatly enjoyed, & may pick back up (since it has less emotional attachment for me at this point).
I've also tried out Minecraft, & enjoy that quite a bit, although I only play on "peaceful" mode (I enjoy the building aspect, & prefer not to have to worry about creepy zombies & such)!. :P
I also, sadly play quite a few Facebook games, which is embarrassing to admit, but this hobby helps fill that gaming gap in my life at times.
I also like to work & volunteer with kids & dogs, and am looking into various possibilities to get involved in related organizations.
WHO I AM
I wrote a good bit about this earlier, but this was my former description, which I'm leaving because it's still pretty spot-on. :)
There's no real way to write a summary of who I am... there's just too much to place in a tiny box, or even in words. I am complex, introspective, contradictory... I think a lot, too much even, and analyze everything I see, hear, experience - even myself. It's a blessing and a curse.
As much as I am a thinker, I am also a feeler. I am very caring - too much so, perhaps - and I do truly care what others think and feel, especially those that are close to me. For the people I love and care about, I stop at nothing for their happiness and am willing to give the world, if I can. Depending on the person, I can be slow to warm up, but once I do, I am talkative, goofy, & playful. At times, I can be very emotional, and admittedly I have difficulties with depression at times (although I am aware and proactive about it). For me, it's a result of an over-active mind, too-big a heart, and cynicism derived from observations of a less than thoughtful or caring world. Sometimes my best writing and thoughts come from these phases, if I can channel the energy right; other times, they're just tear-fests. It's not a great thing, but it's something I live with and make the best of (hey, at least I get some awesome poetry & occasional revelations out of those times!).
Honesty is very important to me, and as you may have noticed, I believe in being upfront, even about the not-so-good things. We're all human, and we all have flaws & pitfalls. I am no different from anyone else in this fact. My particular flaws and quirks help make me who I am, and I do try & work on improving myself. I have made mistakes in the past, and have suffered from, grown through, and learned from them. Inevitably, I will make mistakes in the future too, but hopefully not the same ones! I am not into drama or game-playing (unless it's scrabble, video games, etc.!), and I'm at a point in my life where I truly want to dedicate myself to settling down with one person. I value honesty and trust, and prefer to surround myself with others who do as well. :)
Obviously, there's a lot more about me than I can write here, but I'm a pretty open person and welcome any questions or conversations.
(PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT CHECK MY MESSAGES FREQUENTLY, SO PLEASE BARE WITH ME)
I am analytical, emotional, and playful.
Once, years(& years) ago, I was described as "sorta a hot, goth/hippie chick"... I like that description, still, although I rarely get to go goth these days (it's harder the older you get!)... still I think that fits me well, at least in personality, lol! (Yes, this is almost embarrassing to admit these days, but it does serve as a useful description still, I suppose).
I really like squirrels!! They're just freakin' cute & adorable & playful & spastic & OMG!!!! <3 ... Yeah, I know, weird, but they're just sooo cute!!! *squee*
I collect pig items. Not real pigs, that'd be weird. Ok, it's weird anyway, lol. Still, cartoon/plush/animated/etc pigs are too cute! Not cuter than squirrels, though! ^_^
For just about any site, try the username "mysticrose29." I have it for just about every site I'm on. This one is a rare exception, lol.