cause I don't think that they'd understand;
when everything's made to be broken,
I just want you to know who I am."
~Goo Goo Dolls, Iris
Ok, so my profile has been in need of updating for some time now... Let's see if it can continue to live up to its reputation after said update... :
What do you need to know about me?
Hmm. Good question. It probably depends on what you're looking for, what your values are, etc...
Some facts about me that I think are fairly important:
- I'm a pretty smart cookie. I think. A lot. I require the same in those around me. I'd say, *generally speaking,* how close you get to me and your thoughtfulness/intelligence (in some form or another) is usually positively correlated.
- Similarly, but differently, I'm highly introspective. I really need this in a partner. It is optional for friendship. This basically means, you need to understand yourself - well. If you're introspective, you're aware of what you do, think, & feel, and can analyze yourself & the world around you in relation to these things.
- I have my masters degree (M.Ed., 2010), as well as a B.A. in Psychology (2006).
- I tend to be introverted, although I do "come out of my shell" around friends & those I know well. That said, I do prefer staying in to going out. However, ideally I prefer to be around those that can encourage me (gently) to get out more often. My "ideal" match would be equally happy staying in or going out, but is slightly less reclusive than I am (& can give me good reasons to get out). :)
- I am an INFP on the MBTI. My "I" & "F" scores vary quite a bit toward the center at times, although the "N" & "P" scores are pretty static. If you know what this means, it'll tell you something about me. If you don't, then don't worry with it. :P
- I am technically a "pescatarian." It means I'm vegetarian, except that I eat seafood (fish, shrimp, etc.) too. I do eat animal bi-products (eggs, cheese, milk, etc., and am therefore not vegan). I do not eat poultry (chicken, duck, etc.), though. Just fishies. ^_^ [I don't care what those around me choose to eat or not eat. That said, I imagine it would be hard to coexist with someone who's macrobiotic, but even that can be compromised.]
- I can be very playful at times. I need someone who can be playful too! Knowing to how to balance the seriousness & intensity with the playful & goofy side is highly valued!!
- While I do enjoy being playful, I can also be serious. That has to be tolerated. I do get depressed at times, although I think I manage it pretty well. In many ways, I have enjoyable characteristics that arise from it - a wry & sometimes morbid sense of humor (hey, it's *funny*!), cynicism (which can be quite enjoyable), & a realistic (although sometimes bleak) perception of the world. I *do* like being around people who can remind me of positive spin to things. But if you're the type of person that *needs* someone else that's upbeat all the time, I cannot meet that need.
- I love dogs. I have 2 of my own. One does sleep in bed with me. She always has, and is sort of like a "daughter" to me. While compromise is possible, this is something I'd rather not be an issue.
- I like doing arts & crafts - type things. I have a substantial need for creative activities of some kind (although I tend to lack talent, unfortunately). I enjoy being around others who like these thing too, although it's not a necessity. Some of the hobbies in this area I enjoy are: scrapbooking, collaging, pottery, working with clay (various types), etc.. :)
- I also really like shell-collecting & beachcombing. I can't help but look for shells when I walk the beach. It's like a treasure hunt!
- Somewhat related, I enjoy thrift shopping. I like finding good deals, & especially enjoy finding treasures hidden away in the most unlikely places! I can spend hours in a big thrift shop, going from store to store on the weekends, etc. I try not to do this when I know my company isn't as enthused. Still, if you enjoy it too, that's a huge plus. ^_^
- Other collection-related things: I tend to "collect" books. I'm a bibliophile. I love the smell of paper, and one of the best smells in the world is the earthy smell of musty old books. Needless to say, I love big libraries and used bookstores.
Hmm... That should give you a pretty good idea of my general personality and interests. Enough to know if we'd get along or not, I think? :)
If you're still reading, are curious and wanting to know more, or aren't scared away yet, feel free to continue. If not, I'm assuming you'll have already long left this page!
Some other bits of info, leftover on here from days past...
I love doing research and have a passion for academia. Learning is an important, life-long activity that I am always pursuing. One of my dream jobs is to work with OKtrends (part of OKC's crew that produces those amazing & fantabulous studies)!! I think it's be the coolest thing ever, and so much fun!... and yes, I make up words on the spot. Often. It's fun and amusing.
In the past, I've been a hardcore gamer/raider, admittedly addicted to World of Warcraft (Ashtoreth, lvl 80 Night Elf Druid). Unfortunately, I have not played in several years. I'm not sure if I'll ever pick it back up or not. I have also tried Rift, which I greatly enjoyed, & may pick back up (since it has less emotional attachment for me at this point).
I've also tried out Minecraft, & enjoy that quite a bit, although I only play on "peaceful" mode (I enjoy the building aspect, & prefer not to have to worry about creepy zombies & such)!. :P
I also, sadly play quite a few Facebook games, which is embarrassing to admit, but this hobby helps fill that gaming gap in my life at times.
I also like to work & volunteer with kids & dogs, and am looking into various possibilities to get involved in related organizations.
WHO I AM
I wrote a good bit about this earlier, but this was my former description, which I'm leaving because it's still pretty spot-on. :)
There's no real way to write a summary of who I am... there's just too much to place in a tiny box, or even in words. I am complex, introspective, contradictory... I think a lot, too much even, and analyze everything I see, hear, experience - even myself. It's a blessing and a curse.
As much as I am a thinker, I am also a feeler. I am very caring - too much so, perhaps - and I do truly care what others think and feel, especially those that are close to me. For the people I love and care about, I stop at nothing for their happiness and am willing to give the world, if I can. Depending on the person, I can be slow to warm up, but once I do, I am talkative, goofy, & playful. At times, I can be very emotional, and admittedly I have difficulties with depression at times (although I am aware and proactive about it). For me, it's a result of an over-active mind, too-big a heart, and cynicism derived from observations of a less than thoughtful or caring world. Sometimes my best writing and thoughts come from these phases, if I can channel the energy right; other times, they're just tear-fests. It's not a great thing, but it's something I live with and make the best of (hey, at least I get some awesome poetry & occasional revelations out of those times!).
Honesty is very important to me, and as you may have noticed, I believe in being upfront, even about the not-so-good things. We're all human, and we all have flaws & pitfalls. I am no different from anyone else in this fact. My particular flaws and quirks help make me who I am, and I do try & work on improving myself. I have made mistakes in the past, and have suffered from, grown through, and learned from them. Inevitably, I will make mistakes in the future too, but hopefully not the same ones! I am not into drama or game-playing (unless it's scrabble, video games, etc.!), and I'm at a point in my life where I truly want to dedicate myself to settling down with one person. I value honesty and trust, and prefer to surround myself with others who do as well. :)
Obviously, there's a lot more about me than I can write here, but I'm a pretty open person and welcome any questions or conversations.
(PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT CHECK MY MESSAGES FREQUENTLY, SO PLEASE BARE WITH ME)
I am analytical, emotional, and playful.
Once, years(& years) ago, I was described as "sorta a hot, goth/hippie chick"... I like that description, still, although I rarely get to go goth these days (it's harder the older you get!)... still I think that fits me well, at least in personality, lol! (Yes, this is almost embarrassing to admit these days, but it does serve as a useful description still, I suppose).
I really like squirrels!! They're just freakin' cute & adorable & playful & spastic & OMG!!!! <3 ... Yeah, I know, weird, but they're just sooo cute!!! *squee*
I collect pig items. Not real pigs, that'd be weird. Ok, it's weird anyway, lol. Still, cartoon/plush/animated/etc pigs are too cute! Not cuter than squirrels, though! ^_^
For just about any site, try the username "mysticrose29." I have it for just about every site I'm on. This one is a rare exception, lol.
- Recently moved to the Saint Pete area, and am enjoying being back in Tampa Bay!
- Looking for a job. Still. You'd think with a masters degree, it'd be slightly easier! :/
... Assume this will only change later, upon obtaining a job, to: "Working, doing ____ during the day."
-Considering my next steps in life. I've greatly considered going back to school (again). I'm trying to decide what the smartest thing for me to do at this point is, though. It's a crossroads of sorts, forced on me by the difficult times we're facing these days. Darn economy!
- Working out casually (Just Dance!.. hey, don't knock it, it's working!).
- Trying to stay busy and enjoy life as much as possible, when I'm not job-seeking. No use sulking over all the free time - might as well enjoy it!
-Getting through to kids (ie: tutoring, mentoring, etc.)
-Analyzing (...and over-analyzing)
-Worrying (that goes w/ above)
-Packing (as in for a move)
-Coming up w/ creative solutions to problems
-Making teaching materials
-Typing (all those HS years of AIM & chat rooms paid off!)
-Procrastinating (I'm too good at this one!)
-Writing (both academic & figurative; not always fun, but I have received praise for it)
-Crafts & teaching crafts to kids
-Shopping (esp. w/ a budget)
-Healing in WoW
-Being a "hostess"/making people feel at home (supposedly I am hospitable- I do try, anyway!)
-Singing (haha, yeah, I don't always think so, but I guess I can carry a tune)
-Making gift baskets
-Caring / taking care of others
The first comments people usually make fall into one of these clusters:
1) "Gorgeous" Blue Eyes / "Elizabeth Taylor" eyes
2) Smile (it's... *unique*)
3) I look very young. This is finally starting to be less extreme. The usual age guessed these days is ~20 (as of 11/2011).
a) Books: psychology including Freud & Jung and all the other classics, Shakespeare, fantasy although I can be picky w/ these, the Kusiel Trilogy by Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel's Dart, Chosen, & Avatar)(I'm currently starting to read the 2nd trilogy), Memoirs of a Geisha, and Kids' books including "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and Dr.Seus books.
b) Movies: fantasies & Disney or kids movies mostly.
Some of my faves are: 300, 10000BC, Alice in Wonderland, Avatar, Bad Company, Catch Me If You Can, Chicken Little, Chronicles of Narnia, Evolution, The Golden Compass, Grease, Ice Age (+ sequels), Ironman, The Last Mimzy, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Lion King, LOTR, Matilda, Memoirs of a Geisha, Neverending Story, Phantom of the Opera, Pirates of the Caribbean, Pleasantville, The Point (obscure, I know ;) ), The Rock, Romeo & Juliet (both versions), Serenity, Titanic, Underworld, You've Got Mail, V for Vendetta, What Dreams May Come
-TV: I don't watch much TV. However, when I do, my favorite shows/channels are: Animal Planet, Bleach, Bones, Code Geass, Criminal Minds, Deathnote, Discovery Channel, The Dog Whisperer (Cesar Millan is amazing!!), NCIS (NY), TLC
c) Music: I can tolerate anything (country is my least preferred).
My "preferences," however, are alternative rock, rock, techno, new age, & oldies.
Some of my faves (keep in mind there are MANY more) bands/musicians: 3 Doors Down, 311, 3rd Eye Blind, ABBA, AWOLNATION, The Beatles, Blue October, Cake, Coldplay, Counting Crows, Dashboard Confessional, Eiffel 65, Enya, Evanescence, Goo Goo Dolls, Gorillaz, Jack Johnson, Linkin Park, Moody Blues, Nickelback, Nirvana, Oasis, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Shakira, Smashing Pumpkins, Staind, Stone Sour, Sublime, Supertramp, and Tool.
I like eating lots of different cuisines, and do enjoy going out to eat. I love Thai, Indian, Greek, Italian, & Mexican, but I'm always open to new foods and places. I am a vegetarian, but it's not as difficult as you might think. I do eat seafood sometimes. I love salads and pasta as a basic staple. I also love chocolate, peanut butter, and cheese, although not together. I'm working on losing weight & getting back in shape, though, so I'm trying to limit my sugar/carb intake, which of course is hell for me, since those are my *favorite* foods, lol!
And oh yes-ICE CREAM!! I do love ice cream; it enjoys it's own category! I love cookies & cream, cookie dough, mint choc. chip, turtle tracks, and soo many more!! Also fruit ice cream- black cherry, cherry chocolate, strawberry, etc.! Dairy Queen blizzards are to die for- Pecan Cluster is my all time fave! Mmm, sugary goodness!!
For example... life, death, time, worries, fears, hopes, dreams, plans, school, family, love, marriage, kids, friends, good conversation, parts of good books, fantasies, etc. etc.
My ongoing alphabetical list:
academia, acceptance, animal intelligence, animals, arts & crafts, astrology, autumn, baking, beachcombing, bdsm, b/d/s/m, beach at night, blue eyes, books, bookstores, candles, celtic, chai tea, chatting, children, chocolate, collaging, collar, collections, collective unconscious, college, coloring, compatibility, connecting, crafts, creativity, cuddling, Darwinism, daydreaming, destiny, development, differences, dogs, dreams, Dr. Pepper, drug-free, druid, D/s, education, Elfwood, elves, evolution, Facebook, Facebook games, faires, fairies, fall, fantasy, Farmville, fashion, festivals, forests, Freud, friends, friendship, the future, geeks, Gemini, goth, grad school, graduate school, helping, hinduism, hippie, human nature, ice cream, incense, intelligence, intelligent, internet, introspection, IQ, Jacqueline Carey, Jung, Just Dance! kids, learning, libraries, life, lolita, love, magic, massage, meaning, medieval, medieval faires, men, mentoring, Minecraft, mixed breeds, movies, music, mythology, natural selection, nerds, neurotically yours, new age, New College, night, night elf druid, OKtrends, orange soda, paranormal, passion, patchwork, peace, people, personality, pets, Ph.D. programs, philosophy, photography, pigs, playfulness, poetry, polyvore, power exchange, precipitation, psychology, puppy, purple, purpose, quizzes, rain, rats, reading, relationships, renaissance, renaissance faires, research, Rift, romance, roses, salad, sales, school supplies, scrapbooking, scrapbooks, sensuality, shakespeare, shell-collecting, shells, silliness, singing, slave, sleeping, social issues, socks, spirituality, squirrels, stars, StumbleUpon, submission, submissive, the supernatural, talking, tarot, testing, theology, thinking, thrift shopping, thrift stores, travel, tutoring, tye dye, uniqueness, unusual, used bookstores,video games, volunteering, winter, the world, world issues, WoW, World of Warcraft, writing, zodiac
Checking email, playing horribly addicting Facebook games, chatting, playing Just Dance!, visiting with friends, scrapbooking or doing something crafty, etc.
Aside from that, I'm pretty much an open book, if you want to know something private, just ask. As long as you ask politely, I'll most likely answer. If it's something I'm not comfortable with though, I'll let you know. :)
But basically, if you think I may be the one for You, or You for me, send me a message... Heck, even ALL CAPS the title, lol... :P
AND as always, feel free to message me if:
-You're still reading this
-You aren't scared of weird/odd/quirky, but unique people
-You want to know more about me (or)
-You want me to know more about you
-You think we have a lot in common or think similarly
-You have a gut feeling we'd hit it off well
(I am open to friendships as much as something more romantic in nature, so don't be afraid, male or female, to say hi!).
LAST UPDATE: 11/17/2011