And if you're still reading after that terrible little joke, hello! My name is Adam. Here's some opinions:
- I am an audiophile with a small budget for his love of sound.
- I love to write but everything I try to write always ends up being some kind of technical guide (see: bulleted list you are reading right now).
- I'm a nerd. There's no getting around it. I fight Belegarth and Dagorhir, which are medieval recreational combat games (simplest form: take a fiberglass rod, cover it in foam, and hit someone really hard with it), which I will defend up and down as being a full-contact sport and nothing at all like LARPing -- this is what is called "denial." I also play DnD during the winter when fighting becomes hard to do outdoors due to time and weather constraints. I'm running a campaign right now based on a 24-year-old video game series called Quest for Glory.
(As a point of interest, I've had a friend of mine ask me why I would ever want to label myself as a nerd, a term that originated largely as an insult, much less as labeling myself as an anything-ever. Generally speaking, I think labels speak too generally -- that's why I have such a hard time with accepting or even understanding musical genres. However, I think that if someone or something takes the label onto themselves it is not necessarily a symptom of conformity; it is a means of conveying a piece of information succinctly. No, not everything about nerds applies to me -- not the implications, nor the connotations, nor the prejudices -- but it still generally speaks to the larger identity of myself and creates a much simpler dialogue. That is, ironically, until this part of the dialogue opens up in which one must then discuss why taking the short route is easier or remains accurate.)
- I love bicycles. I especially love speciality bicycles like recumbents. I fixed and sold them for a living until recently -- which kind of makes me a professional bicycle mechanic save for the fact that I own few tools of my own.
- I love the arts, but I'm bad at them. Painting, illustration, poetry -- if you are an artist of any sort you automatically have my admiration, as I could never do what you do.
You may notice the "mostly monogamous" descriptor off to the right. It's important for me to note that I am polyamorous, but this does not by any means state that I am incapable of monogamy. If I enter into a monogamous relationship, it stays monogamous.