1. I dream big, and I go out of my way to be a little different and defy convention. One of the easiest ways to get me to do something is to make be believe that you think I'm incapable of doing it.
2. I sometimes lack a filter, as you can probably tell from the length of this profile. I won't be the slightest bit offended if you haven't read it all. ...or even half. :)
3. I'm pretty damn happy all the time, and I'm probably overly-optimistic.
4. I appreciate intelligent conversations. That's not to imply that all of my conversations are intelligent. Ha. I'm sure most of them aren't. But I do like to be able to talk about complex issues sometimes.
5. I've been traveling back and forth between NY & Tokyo for years, so dating has always seemed a little difficult because I hate to half-ass things. Thankfully, I'm finally trying to stay put for while here in Tokyo...and at an age where dating is become a lot more important to me.
6. My family hosted tons of exchange students while I was growing up, 20 of which were from Japan. Which should help explain my connection to the country. :) I took a 5th year of high school in Tokyo at Gakushuin High School (as an exchange student) before going to Columbia University over in NY, then came back here for a semester to study at Sophia University (Jouchi). I've been back for various other reasons including school, music studies, and job interviews, making this time my 9th here.
7. I like laughing until my sides hurt.
8. I like to think that I'm pretty adaptable. There are few people I don't get along with. I can't promise that they feel the same way about me, but I guess that's something I'll just never know.
9. I'm a bit of a hobbies whore. The list just keeps on growing. Some of the more important or more recent ones include:
- Shamisen (Jiuta)
- Rock-climbing & Bouldering
- Firedancing (12-ish yrs. & counting)
- Soccer (I'm terrible, but I love it!)
- Bartending (Used to teach it, but it's been forever so I probably suck now...)
- Wine & Sake (not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be, but I love it!)
- Food! (Eating, cooking, you name it!)
...and a ton more. I'd be happy to teach anything I know to you if you're interested, and I'm always looking for new things to try if you have any interesting hobbies! And if you're interested in trying out ballroom dancing, let me know...it's been on my to-do list for a while now.
Some other various hobbies I used to do more of, and maybe I'll get into again one day: Japanese Tea Ceremony (Urasenke), Aikido, Shakuhachi, Gagaku, Piano, Theater, Visual Art, Skiing, Waterskiing, & Robotics. I'm also super interested in one day learning glass blowing, metal working, jewelry design, clothing design, didgeridoo, guitar, acrobatics, wakeboarding, surfing, kite boarding, sailing, horseback riding, skydiving...the list goes on and on.
Moral of the story? I like to try new things and learn new skills, and I'd love to be with someone who's just as interested.
10. I love kids...so a relationship just wouldn't work out if you don't. And I really want a big dog or two again one day (labrador?), so let's just hope that you're cool with the idea of pets too. :)
12. I don't have anything against the number 11. I just kind of felt like skipping a number.
13. I'm probably a little quirky. I swear it's in a good way, but I suppose that depends who you are. Rest assured, if you have a quirky side (I'm convinced that everyone in this world does), we'll probably get along.
13. I like it when meals take a long time because you're caught up talking. I think that having at least a couple of meals a weeks with friends or family is part of the key to happiness.
14. I probably pay more attention to form, design, & looks than I should. But I really do prefer things that have been designed well.
15. I'm somewhat convinced that Hapas/Hapanese/Halves/Whatever-You-Want-To-Call-Them are a superior race.