- throwing music shows in and around the LA area
collecting vinyl like there's no tomorrow
- living life a day at a time
- chatting about music, art, cognitive science and genetic engineerimg
- finding things on the Internet
- BULLET-POINTING ALL THE THINGS
My gold earrings.
Books: Utopias and dystopias. Mutterings from the Beat Generation. Hallucinatory portrayals of the implications of technology on the environment and society-at-large. The fluidity of memory. Transgression.
Movies: Mindfuck. Film noir. Spaghetti and acid westerns. Synergistic soundtracks. Black comedy. Postmodern romance. Beautiful color.
Shows: Metahumor. Tropes, deconstructed. Crossover with my movie preferences.
Music: If I had to narrow it down to a couple of key categories, it'd be:
- nearly all electronic genres, except trance and American modern EDM ("progressive house", "complextro", "brostep", trap)
- trip-hop; both of the UK/Bristol/Manchester and sample-heavy US varieties
- mathy, drum-heavy post-rock
- well-produced hip-hop
- film soundtracks and contemporary classical music
- jazz, jazz fusion, jazz-funk
- forgotten heavy psych and funk from the 60s and 70s, preferably from foreign countries that you wouldn't expect to see such a scene in
- north (Hindustani) and south Indian classical (Carnatic) music
- metal, mostly of the stoner, sludge, and post- varieties
That was probably too much detail, sorry (not sorry)! For up-to-date listening stats, http://www.last.fm/user/NewSpeek
Food: I don't have a strict favorite. My mother made sure to train that out of me as a kid. That being said, CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES, HUMMUS, SRIRACHA, FIGS, CORNBREAD hnnnnnnnnngggg
My mental and sensory faculties.
- the aesthetics of music
- singletrack mountain biking
- synthetic biology
- game design
- at a music show
- listening to music
That doesn't mean that I'm perfect now, or that I'm automatically tolerant of flaking in other people, but just that...I'm emotionally equipped to deal with it.