1. I was born in Santa Monica, which is pretty close to Hollywood. I think that’s sufficient to warrant that I be treated like a celebrity (only in the fun ways, of course!)
2. From the ages of 2 to 13 I lived in Akron, the rubber capital of the world. Ah, those idyllic days of my childhood -- playing tag, riding bikes, climbing trees -- the scent of burning rubber wafting on the warm, summer breeze.
3. Also from Akron…the band Devo. My mother’s boyfriend’s brother, Alan Myers, was (according to Wikipedia) “the third and most prominent drummer of the band Devo.” Because of this connection, I attended several Devo concerts when I was 13. (It beats the hell out of Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana!) I also have an album autographed by Alan “To the best tree climber I know.”
4. At the airport once, when I was a child, my parents spotted Jesse Jackson and sent me over to get his autograph. He signed it “Leslie, Excel! Jesse Jackson.” Somehow, I feel I’ve let him down.
5. I represented my elementary school in the regional spelling bee and came in 17th. I lost on the word “quasi.” *kicks herself* It seems so easy, now, but if you don’t know it, you don’t know it.
6. My favorite movie is Pulp Fiction.
7. My favorite song is Let’s Get It On.
8. I don’t think I could select a favorite book. The one I’ve read most recently is Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which includes an excruciatingly detailed description of a mother overseeing her daughter through the barbaric ritual of foot binding. I winced and cringed my way through this passage. It really makes you marvel at the power of culture to dictate our behavior.
9. My favorite artists include Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, and Paul Klee.
10. My first two celebrity crushes were Michael Jackson and O.J. Simpson. Thank goodness neither of those wishes came true! It occurs to me that I might not be very good at selecting men. :-/
11. I graduated from high school in 1983. I got my BA in psychology in 1992. I got my MS in Management and Accounting in 2005. I think my educational career could best be described as slow and meandering.
12. I have two fascinating children (12 and 9) whom I treasure. They magically fill my life with…experiences. They evoke in me Santana’s sentiment, “I’m riding the highs; I’m digging the lows / ‘Cause at least I feel alive / I’ve never faced so many emotional days / But my life is good.”
13. I love weddings.
14. Although I never specifically targeted Hawaii as a travel destination, I’ve been there four times.
15. The phrase “speak truth to power” gives me goose bumps.
16. I’m very ticklish…I mean, no! I’m not ticklish at ALL!!!
17. I’m quite easy to get along with. :)
I am lighthearted, irreverent, and curious