Yes, i'm a proud Shanghailander born and raised in Barcelona.
I had a very comfortable life in Barcelona, money in my pocket, plenty of time for myself, great friends and cool jobs but i was bored to death, so i decided to reinvent myself and my life big time. I had only one thing crystal clear in my mind: Fortune favors the bold.
So, on January 30th 2005, 15:30 local time, i arrived to Shanghai. No job, no friends, no word of chinese, no place to stay, just me and a suitcase, the rest is just history in the making, my adventures and misadventures in Shanghai will definitely deserve and need more than one chapter in my memoirs. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
I had a whirlpool of amazing adventures in my life so far, with their correspondent scars, but can't wait for the many more to come.
Could write a long list of adjectives about how cool, witty and amazing i am, but let's be honest, i'm a human being, and a man, so i'm full of imperfections, insecurities and flaws too. Good thing though, i'm not an asshole, maybe i'm not a "good boy" but i'm a good person.
Ok, had some "complaints" about the lack of personal info about myself besides how i came to Shanghai, so here some extra information about me, myself and I.
* I'm a highschool drop out. Left formal education the moment i joined Mensa. I'm a INFP type, with ADD and a high IQ.
* i have good friends from all walks of life: Michelin star chefs, high class scorts, mercenaries, fishermen, professional athletes, artists, lawyers, fashion designers, politicians, gipsies, cops, entrepeneurs and everything in between. The only thing they have in common? None of them is stupid. Great minds think alike.
* i lived the first 30 years of my life less than five minutes walking from the beach and my beloved Mediterranean sea.
* Most of my female friends love to go shopping with me, they say i'm their "best mirror". Besides some fashion taste, i'm always brutally honest with them.
* My mother is been living in Cuba for the last fourteen years, my dad is in Barcelona and i'm in Shanghai. Each one of us lives in a different continent...
* Due to work and family issues, mentioned above, i've been exposed to Tibetan budhism, Chinese taoism and Cuban santeria very much. Not in a religious but in a spiritual way.
* I've was described once by a good friend as a very naughty lesbian traped in a man's body. I took it as a very good compliment even if she was baked to the gills at the moment.
* i don't waste my time and energy trying to be liked by everybody. I don't like everybody either, so i expect the same reaction. What can i say? My magnificence annoys the shit out of certain types of people.
* My childhood and teenage heroes were/are, not in that order: Ulyses king of Ithaca, Alexander the Great, Batman, Jim Morrison, Nietzche, Count Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, Superlopez, Asterix and Obelix, Thor Heyerdal, Han Solo, Carl Jung, General Patton, Albert Einstein, Ignatius Reilly and both my grandfathers.
I have female heroines too, quite a lot actually, but they all are real women from my life, so makes no sense to write their names here. They know i worship and adore them, so i'm sure they don't mind.
* Whenever i see Star Wars episode IV i can't help myself to yell at the top of my lungs : Han Solo shot first!
* As the poet, i used to belive that the roads of excess would lead me to the palaces of wisdom. Now i'm more in the belief that drugs are a rational response to insanity. (My party animal days are way behind me, now i enjoy it once every blue moon).
* I live in a 1930's art deco apartment in the French Concession. I decorated it myself from scratch following Fengshui principles. My home is my temple.
* My first cat's name was Napoleon, the last one Desdemona.
* I am immune and impervious to yellow fever, which makes me a "rara avis" among Shanghai's expats male population.
* Haribo gummy bears make me smile like a kid on christmas' morning. Love red, orange and yellow ones.
* To me Paradise is a place on earth and it is located in Ko Tao island. Love it, love it, love it!
* I've never prayed for an easy life, i've prayed for strength to endure a difficult one.
To be continued...