I am back after a one-year hiatus, due to a serious and now-over relationship. I'm trying to dust myself off and move on. That can be tough, but I'm the kind of person who needs to be pro-active when life gets shitty.
Right now I can't say what I'm looking for. Ultimately, I'm a relationship person. I want to find someone to be with for the long haul. However, I just got out of a relationship that I was pretty sure was going to last, so I want to take my time and take it slow so I don't wind up in the same situation all over again. I suppose, then, I'm back on this here interwebs of dating to find interesting, intelligent, kind, thoughtful people (yes, I know they are out there!) to get to know and see what happens.
So, with all of that in mind, here is a random list o' me. It is by no means exhaustive, and it is written in no particular order. Still, it's fun, and it gives you some ideas about me. If you like those ideas, if you're intrigued and want to converse, say hello and tell me about yourself. I'm much more apt to reply to a thoughtful message that shows you actually read my profile.
A random list o' me:
* I have a great sense of humor, and am a pretty fun and funny person, but I have found that I am terrible at conveying humor in writing. Perhaps that's just another reason for you to meet me in person - hilarity may very well ensue.
* I'm an intelligent, inquisitive, thoughtful person. I tend to be highly aware of other people's thoughts and feelings. I analyze my own thoughts, feelings, and actions, and do the same with others - not necessarily in a judgmental way, though. I just like to understand and know
* I am an educator. I've been in education for a decade now, and have a love-hate relationship with it. I love teaching, but I tend to dislike schools
* While I care deeply about the environment and sustainable
living, I am not outdoorsy and hate camping. Looking at the profiles here on OkCupid, it seems as though everyone wants to climb a mountain, run a marathon, and then go camping, all on the first date. I will not be engaging in these activities with you. If it's your thing, that's cool, but anyone I date needs to be comfortable with the fact that I will not be joining them on these endeavors.
* I hate watermelon...actually, all melons. Oh, and beets - I hate beets!
* A sense of humor is right at the top of my list for most important qualities in a person. I tend to enjoy sarcastic, goofy, intelligent, or dark humor
* I sing semi-professionally mostly jazz/blues/soul. I gig about 1-3 times a month. Music is fundamental to my life.
* I'm extremely passionate about social justice. I tend to express this passion through my work as an educator
* I am and always will be a full figured woman.
* I'm a bit of a home body, but like to get out to have a good time, too. I like a good mix of the two.
* If I had to live on one type of cuisine for the rest of my life, it would most likely be Vietnamese, with Thai, Ethiopian, and Sushi being runners up
* I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to scary movies. Also, I have a bug phobia. Seriously.
* I enjoy playing board/card games, bowling, smash-putt, and other structured fun.
* Proper writing conventions are important to me, although I have been known to make a typo now and then. If someone writes to me (or has a profile) with poor writing it is highly unlikely that I will respond. That may sound elitist, but it is what it is. Take the time to communicate effectively when trying to meet new people
* I don't believe in a higher power, and it would be very difficult for me to be in a serious relationship with a very
* I appreciate direct communication. Say what you mean and mean what you say without any games or BS. This also requires a level of self-awareness that, to be honest, is often difficult to find in people
* I like pub trivia and a good beer or glass of wine
* I am simultaneously a strong, independent woman who thrives in a committed, loving relationship. I have a fulfilling and busy life, but I also want to share my life with someone.
* I'm a culturally Jewish, religiously agnostic, progressive liberal
* I'm not perfect, and I certainly have a lot more personal growth ahead of me, but I'm also a pretty awesome person.
* I like to read, although too often I find myself reading for work rather than reading for pleasure.
* I like making lists. Bullet points are my friend
Of course there is so much more to me, so if I've piqued your interest I'd love to hear from you!