Here's the general idea: I just moved to Atlanta from Florida to work at AT&T, designing training for their employees. I don't know many folks here, and am always looking for new friends and people to meet. I had a great MeetUp community in my hometown (Tallahassee, FL), so I'm hoping to find the Atlanta equivalent.
I used to spend a lot of time with my family and keeping busy, but with the recent moved I'm enjoying my time getting out when I can. I am looking to meet different people and enjoy the variety of personalities this town offers. So far it's random restaurants and bars, with some museums, live acting/comedy shows, and misc. socializing thrown in for good measure.
I like to play with my little nephews (ages 3 and 10) and visit with friends and family. I'm thinking about getting into tennis, and attend CrossFit for my regular workout. It's doing a great job of keeping me sore, and keeping me humble.
I used to have a weekly board game night, playing a genre of Euro-games that most people haven't heard of (though I'm sure some people here have). I'm probably going to get back into that since it was an excellent way to exercise both my social and mental muscles at the same time.
With my own free time, I like to enjoy being outside (weather permitting), creating glass artwork, mirror etchings, and stained glass, and cooking delicious desserts (I've a killer fudge recipe). I get together with different groups of friends during the week, and like to be involved in anything social, from board games to drinks to a day kayaking on whatever bodies of water you have around here. I'm looking forward to doing some rafting, visiting my grandparent's cabin near Chattanooga, and having some hidden treasures around Atlanta introduced to me (especially if I've never heard about it).
Relationship-wise, I know what I want out of life, and I'm trying to find a partner for a long-term relationship. I am in no rush. I enjoy meeting people, and taking the time to find the hidden and interesting things in people. I enjoy being in a relationship, and am very good at it (take that in whatever way you'd like, I suppose). To be able to be caring and emotional, and to show that to the right person is something I greatly enjoy when the connection is right.
To finish things out, here's a random list of things about me:
- I love all sorts of games, but am not too fond of popular and traditional sports. Ultimate frisbee, dodge ball, and kickball are excellent examples.
- I am 1/4 Lebanese.
- I have big feet. Size 13 or 14 depending, which makes finding shoes hard, and expensive.
- I am told I have great hair (I'm also told I should delete this, but I think it's too funny to get rid of)
- Nifty hats are... nifty. I like cool hats.
- I have facial hair because I hate shaving my chin. (Note in case it matters: Current facial hair in a very short beard and 'stache.)
- I love reading, but read so quickly that I find it annoying to read books that aren't good enough, so I stick with authors I trust (currently Stephen King and Dean Koontz).
- I like kids, and worked with them in child-care settings for 10 years or so.
- According to my motivation studies, I have a Need for Affiliation: To be considered part of a group, and to be liked by others. This sometimes gets me in trouble.
- I am an uncle to two nephews that are brothers. Both are going to be tall, smart, and way too unique to not be made fun of by the others kids (our last name doesn't help much either...)
- I am extremely curious to the point of being nosy when it comes to learning about other people and their thoughts and feelings.
- I jog/run sporadically. I'm currently at around 10min/mile, and when I'm running regularly my route is a 4.8 mile mix of roads, sidewalks, grass, and hills.
- I have a roommate for a few months, who happens to be the same roommate I had in Florida. Convenient, yes, but also lends itself to possibly be the plot of a sitcom.