I'm the guy that every woman sees as the great big brother she wished she had. Yep, I'm a nice guy. Yuck! I'm not sexy, not exciting, but I will make you laugh.
My political and social beliefs are mostly very liberal Democrat but can sometimes wander over into Libertarian. Would you like to make fun of Republicans with me?
What gives me joy...
I like reading, museums, board games, birding, and hiking. I love camping (or did when I was in better shape). With very little prompting, I was happy to drive to Big Bend or New Mexico. I like to travel, but not alone: the fun of it is in the sharing. Lately I've gotten a stronger urge to travel.
And I love sitting around discussing whatever things seem weird in the universe. I am an intelligent man who greatly appreciates intelligent women. Too many women seem to think it's necessary to "dumb down" to be accepted; that ain't right!
I also have a great respect for honesty: people who are up-front about saying what they mean and meaning what they say.
Most of all, I like to laugh, and I like to make others laugh, and I'm pretty good at it, if I do say so myself. A sense of humor is a glorious thing, so I hope you have a big shiny one!
Animals love me. Shortly after moving into my house eight years ago, I was adopted by a cat from down the street; I tried to discourage her, yet here she is. She's actually the third cat to do that in my life. Much as I like her company, though, I kind of wish I were pet-less so I could be freer to travel. Ah well.
What I'm not so good with...
• I'm not religious, and I don't understand people who want to impose their hates and intolerances on others. I don't have anything against religion as long as it doesn't promote evil, like intolerance or being a primary focus of your life. Still, if you list yourself as "serious" about your religion, regardless of which one — or your "spirituality", for that matter — I doubt we'll get on well. Needless to say, fundamentalism is seriously suspect. As long as you believe in treating other people as you'd like to be treated, that's enough for me.
• My house is a mess, as is my office. I keep them sort of clean, but orderliness escapes me.
• I care nothing for sports. If you're dying to share season tickets, better to take someone else. If you like to watch an occasional game, that's okay, and I may even watch with you as long as you don't expect me to know the rules.
• I'm very monogamistic by nature. To those interested in p0lyam0ry, that's not something I'd be comfortable with.
• I don't care for exercise for its own sake. But I do try.
• I like being on water (think: boat), but I'm not big on being in water (I'm not a strong swimmer, and I don't much like being wet). I only mention this because it seems to be a popular topic in profiles.