I want to say I spend all my time laying around drinking beer and scratching my fanny. Of course, that isn't true.
My favorite things in life are peak experiences: learning to do the eskimo roll in an enclosed kayak in the open ocean. Scuba diving the first time. Hiking in the mountains. Falling in love. Body surfing on a perfect evening in Shaw's Cove, in Laguna Beach. Sailing alongside a gray whale off Dana Point as the sun is going down, with no other boats in sight. Falling in love. Did I mention falling in love?
I'm a writer--fiction, poetry, journalism. Just had my first mystery story accepted for publication. First one I ever sent out.
I am an artsy-fartsy creative type. Love kids, dogs, the outdoors, good friends, good movies, good books, and spare time. Funky lifestyle. (This ain't the Ritz.)
I think love is more about giving than it is about getting.
I didn't understand that when I was young and got married.
I thought I was going to be in love forever.
Two people have to commit to giving and to making the relationahip work, I believe, and do whatever they can to stoke the fire. Even then it is difficult. Relationships are delicate, but people are not.
I think compatibility factors are important. I made a list of 23. Here are the top seven:
1. Loves nature, loves to camp and hike and swim in mountain pools and in the ocean. Adores it. Revels in it. (I used to do this more, before I got runner's knees.)
2. Physical fitness. A core value. Works out, does exercise of all kinds, indoors and out. Bike, hike, mountain bike, etc. (Mostly at the gym now.)
3. Time: Able to slow down and savor life, not rush it. Able to be present and not distracted.
4. Loves the arts—literature, music, visual arts, movies, drama, etc. (A huge part of my life.)
5. Sees health and healthy food as a top priority. Chooses not to eat fast food or junk food.
6. Mental health. Will go a long way to make positive and healthy choices. Chooses healthy friends, etc. Has good boundaries.
7. Basically positive outlook. Most people are good. The world is a wonderful place where I can get what I want.
I like women who are slender. The closer the bone....