Specifically, I'm entertained by guys who are funny, smart, observant, and playful (and I'd like to think that I have these qualities, as well).
Personally: Always interested in meeting new people and have new experiences – even better if I can do both at the same time. Recent examples:
Jan 2016: G Adventures' "Peru Multisport" tour! It was my first G Adventure and it was incredible.
July 2015: First time participating in the Friends for Life Bike Rally from Toronto to Montreal (over 600 km in 6 days of riding).
My main creative pursuit is an album I've written which is slowly gathering dust while I see if I can find time to put together a band and rehearse. (Former creative pursuits include improv/sketch-comedy... which is not to say that I'm not still interested, but I've put a lower priority on them because they used to DOMINATE my free time.)
Professionally: I'm a project manager for new medical imaging devices. It's interesting and stressful.
- Organizing things
- Getting out of my comfort zone
- Following through
- Rocking out
- Eating out
2. I talk a lot. It's true: I like talking, and I like hanging out with people who also enjoy conversing, especially about interesting things (i.e. not small-talk, gossip, or celebrity news).
3. That I work out! (I'm part of a bootcamp class that meets three times per week and is 10 mins warmup / 45 mins hell / 5 mins stretching, so this is what I hope people notice.)
After losing track of new music for a few years, I'm committed to keeping up with it again (made easy with reviews and music streaming services). Despite listening to a bunch of albums in 2015, not much has stuck! I did go to Osheaga for the first time this year, so that's something.
FWIW, my favourites from 2014:
- Nux Vomica – s/t) (an album comprised of 3 epic metal tracks)
- Sun Kil Moon – Benji (honest, acoustic rock)
- D’Angelo and the Vanguard – Black Messiah (an incredible album that dropped just before the end of 2014. Beatlesque hooks.)
- Helms Alee – Sleepwalking Sailors (sludgy, heavy, melodic rock)
(And here are some of my all-time favourite bands:
Sloan, Fucked Up, Ben Folds Five, Sufjan Stevens, Weezer (Pinkerton #1, Blue Album #2, then... that's it), Andrew WK, The Decemberists, and The New Pornographers.)
Full disclosure: I currently don't read any fiction, as my reading is focused on work. I'd love to read more – I just don't take the time, right now. Would you like to recommend anything?
I have started making a bit of time for comics. I bought trades for the first time ever, this year: Saga, Sex Criminals, and Deadly Class.
Movies + Shows:
Okay, more disclosure: I don't watch any TV and rarely watch movies.
But what about Musicals?
- Book of Mormon is great.
- Avenue Q is amazing.
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch, which I saw on stage and then as an excellent movie.
- [title of show] is one of the most inspirational/funny things I've ever seen.
I don't cook. But I like to eat. Out. A lot.
1. Friends and family
2. Creative outlets
3. My glasses (really, I'm extremely myopic)
4. New experiences
5. My iPhone (in addition to communication and life-savers like Maps, I do a lot of creative/productive stuff on my phone)
6. NEW: Bootcamp class! (Formerly "Squat racks", I've put weightlifting on hold for now.)
- Going to concerts at small venues around Toronto (e.g. The Garrison, The Phoenix, Lee's Palace, The Horseshoe).
- Going to hipster-ville (e.g. west Queen-west, Dundas-west) for interesting beers/locales.
- Seeing musicals/theatre at big or small venues.
- Competing in a City Chase (a low-budget Amazing Race around Toronto that happens every summer).
- Riding bikes around Toronto for business and pleasure.
- Playing board games.
- Getting dressed up for a night out (e.g. at the Reservoir Lounge).
- Spending an afternoon in Kensington Market.
- Travelling, with a preference for adventure over tourist traps.
- And, sometimes, getting suuuuuper drunk at a bar/club/karaoke.
2. You like this profile and do not fit that physical description; I am still completely interested in meeting like-minded people for a non-date.
To all respondents: I just ask in advance that you follow through on whatever gets planned/decided. I know that sometimes it can't be helped, so, if you do need to cancel, it will make me very happy if you do it like this: "Hey, really sorry, something came up! But how about [suggestions for alternate days to get together]."