Find better matches with our advanced matching system
28 / M / Straight / Single
- Last Online
- Yesterday – 10:03pm
- 5′ 10″ (1.78m).
- Body Type
- Atheism but not too serious about it
- Gemini but it doesn’t matter
- Graduated from masters program
- Education / Academia
- Rather not say
- Doesn’t have kids
- Has cats
- English (Fluently)
I have also spent some time as a social worker at a domestic abuse intervention program. It's a new, exciting and challenging field, but I am enjoying the work. The issues wrapped up in this really speak to me.
I am also very active in the Portland geek culture. I have founded, coordinated and and organized many community events over the last two years. These groups bring story games, theater games and pervasive games to the public. Seeing these efforts welcomed by the Portland community, and seeing these events flourish, has been truly exciting. I am thrilled to do my part to make being a geek not just for nerds anymore.
I have been told that I am a good leader and coordinator, but I personally don't really get to see it from that side. So I guess I'll take their word for it!
I do think that I am very good at being creative on the spot.
I actually don't watch a lot of movies. Though it feels like a stock answer, I usually enjoy Kubrick's stuff. A Clockwork Orange, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Sparticus; all great.
I just discovered Carnivale and the Kingdom (a.k.a. Riget I & II), and I am loving them. Otherwise, Twin Peaks, Battlestar Galactica (the new series), Caprica, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Each of those has sucked me in.
My consumption of music is probably not what you'd expect. I don't like listening to prerecorded music when I can avoid it; give me a live recording, or a live performance any day. To fully enjoy a piece of music I need to dismantle it and really understand it in as much detail as possible. So, I tend to listen to one or two artists at a time, listening to all of their works, and listen to it many times. Recently I have been listening to Olivier Messiaen (all of it), Shostakovich (string quartets), Roger Waters (solo work and Pink Floyd; the Wall in particular).
There isn't much food I don't enjoy. Sushi, Indian, and Thai are usually my favorites.
1. The opportunity to keep learning. I like to follow my curiosity in various directions, just for the journey. Powell's, libraries and the internet are very instrumental in this task!
2. My community. I have found such a large circle of friends in the last year, both close and casual. It has been amazing!
3. Craft beer. Especially the Belgian and Scandinavian varieties. The darker and the more complex the better. There is nothing quite like it!
4. Music. I am presently a professional musician. Though my consumption of music is very all or nothing, there is nothing that scratches that itch for me like listening to music I know well.
5. My cat Harold. I've had him since he was bite sized. I have had him through some hard times. Someday, not too soon I hope, I will miss him very much.
6. The outdoors. I cannot stay cooped up in exclusively urban environments for too long.
I know that sounds a little, uh, odd. I enjoy educating myself, and voluntarily throw myself into various detours of study. In the last year I have read up on Jungian psychology, the writing systems of the ancient Mayans (not related to the 2012 craze; I just find it to be a fascinating piece of history) and the scientific plausibility (or lack thereof) of time travel. Identity construction issues are my current kick, I guess.
I also spend a fair bit of time thinking about my closer relationships. Maybe I'm too curious about how we relate to each other up close. But I think that information is good, and the more we have, the more honest we can be with each other. And the more honest we can be, the better the health of the relationship.
- Girls who like guys
- Ages 20–32
- Near me
- Who are single
- For new friends, long-term dating, short-term dating