Intelligence being the most attractive quality a person can possess. The expression, "What's the point of sleeping with someone, if you can't roll over and talk to them afterward, or instead of?" Engage the brain, encourage the heart.
Why is there such an overuse of "like"? If everything is "like" something else, then what is it really? Just think we should say what we mean.
Was on the R train on a typical Monday. Every time the door closed the announcer decided that it was "talk like a pirate day" and announced every stop and even the name of the train in pirate-speak. It made me appreciate how funny things are when you least expect them to be. Although a few of my fellow passengers seemed less than enthusiastic about the prospect of traveling with Captain Kidd all the way from Brooklyn to their destination, I was happy for one-man's enjoyment of his work.
Was on the subway today (seems to be the start of most good stories I can recall). There was this couple, he had a suitcase, and a carry-on bag. She had the look of failed stoicism on her face. The more she tried, the more she cried, the more she simply wept. Wondered when they'd see each other again? How long had they been together? Have taken my share of lovers and friends to the airport. Have waited expectantly at the gate for them to get off the plane. There's an expression that we take lovers to airports, and friends to the curb. Is that true? It isn't my expression, I'm the kind that thinks a goodbye is worth saying at the last moment, without reservation.
Was walking home from work over the Brooklyn Bridge. There was this older couple walking up ahead. They were walking hand-in-hand. No hurry, their own pace. The woman let go of the man's hand for a moment and walked ahead of him. They had reached the midpoint (if you've ever walked over the Brooklyn Bridge you know the part, where the view is better than the other parts of the walk, although all of them are pretty spectacular). The man caught up with her a few seconds later. Passing them, I overheard their conversation:
Man: Why did you let go of my hand? (catching up to her as she stood at the railing looking at the view with the wind blustering, making her eyes tear).
Woman: Because I wanted to know what it felt like to have you want to come hold it again.
How lucky can two people be?
Best thing I've heard, so far
"I never told you I loved you, you never taught me how."
Truest thing heard so far
"I may be rags, but they're my rags, earned by me, not from someone buying my favors."
--a blackinia from Janagpur
"I think poverty is man made, it is not given by god."
Living in today
Don't understand people who can't let go of the past so much so that it robs them of their future. So many people shudder to meet someone in real life. They hide behind false requirements and hope that they are completely sure before making a commitment. There is a Buddhist expression that goes, "Every time I open my eyes in the morning, I have accomplished half my day." Commit to something and have some faith in the future, regardless of what the past has shown you.
Smiling at strangers
Why don't we smile at each other more? When did it become standard practice to stare off into the middle distance on the subway? Why is eye contact akin to stalking and grounds for macing or a dirty stare? Was raised that a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet. Tell my daughter this all the time and she is astounded how easy when she sees me talk to anyone.
Are we all a little too paranoid about things?
Brevity may be the soul of wit, just wonder if wit had anything interesting to say?
Nerds and Jocks
Knowing this is true:
Jocks may have ruled high school. Geeks have ruled everything else since. Exercising my inner jock and comfortable with my ulterior nerd.
Being courted by bots
I hear that women get all sorts of one-line emails, this is the one I received recently:
hello dear nice to meet you here i will be happy to know you more if you dont mind we could chat on skype or whatsup
how does someone react to something like this?
Women and men
* gender equality and that equal work, means equal pay
* opening doors
* putting notes in your lunch (perhaps even delivering it sometimes)
* standing aside to let you go first
* walking on the outside part of the sidewalk closest to the street (look it up, it used to be important)
* offering to pay for meals
* bringing flowers for no apparent reason
* old-fashioned, gentleman-like behavior
* romance, and doing things for the other person for no other reason than you want to and that you can actually help when it's not always required
* having that "look" from across a room and knowing exactly what it means because you know each other well enough to have shared secrets
* knowing you have shared secrets
* anticipating getting you alone, because that's the best part of my day
* shared interests
* sandwich night
* you can make things better because you should
* being intellectually curious (ABC=Always Be Curious)
* love at second sight. Have you heard of this concept?
* that chivalry doesn't mean that only men give up their seats on the subway? What happened to equality?
* the efficacy of honesty
What do you believe?
Conversation and current events
* Please be able to have a conversation and know what's going on in the world. It's important. We all live here.
* Does anyone else get through the weekly issue of the Economist? Never finish the current one before the next one shows up. It can't just be me. Is it written for people who can grasp socio-econo-political nuances through osmosis? Do they sleep with it under their pillow?
Why does height matter in a relationship? Who made that a "thing"? Some of the most powerful men in history have been with women taller than themselves. Have we progressed no further in evolution than for the superficial to matter this much? Don't we all eventually want to look IN to each other's eyes, not strain our necks looking at the bottom of the other's chin? It's like the age criteria. Perhaps the priorities are more superficial than they need to be.
Well, can any of your neighbors tell, Kate, I'll ask them?
Why do many men feel this way trying to tell women how they feel?