• I’m from West Virginia. I’ve lived in Allentown for quite a while, but my heart’s in the hills.
• However, I really can't stand the song "Take Me Home, Country Roads." Please resist the impulse to sing it to me!
• I enjoy my job working in the arts in an academic setting. I like college students.
• My entire wardrobe is red, pink, or black. I'm not trying to make a statement or anything—red is my favorite color, and I don't especially enjoy shopping. This limited palette makes it easier.
• I live with tabby cats named Det. Lennie Briscoe and Det. Mike Logan.
• I'm one of the moderators of a popular online forum for skeptics and critical thinkers. It's a wonderful community of interesting folks.
• I love to roller skate (quads, not inlines), though I don’t do it as much as I’d like. (My own private rink is near the top of my if-I-won-the-Powerball list.)
• I also enjoy strength training and hiking. (Not simultaneously.)
• I played basketball and softball in high school.
• I create mosaic giftware and home accessories: I buy various items at thrift stores, refurbish them, tile them, and sell them at craft shows. It's fussy, time-consuming work; I find it both relaxing and gratifying. And the craft shows are always an adventure!
• Is it true, kind, and helpful?
• I've realized that I say "oh dear" a lot, which is not to indicate that I don't curse, because I do.
• I love road trips—with maps, not GPS.
• I was an adjunct instructor at a community college for seven years, teaching a survey course in speech communication. It was the one course all students in all programs at the college had to take to graduate; their level of enthusiasm varied greatly. It was very hard work, but a lot of fun.
• I'm very interested in historic sites and museums. A road trip to a historic site = my idea of fun.
• When I was in high school, I used to sew a lot of my own clothing (including my prom dresses). Over the years I've mostly been doing alterations and household projects (a shower curtain made from a queen-size sheet and a collection of vintage handkerchiefs), but I've just started making clothes again because I couldn't find in the stores the comfortable summer dresses I wanted. I'm having fun.
• I'm glued to the TV and radio during baseball season. I'll only watch/listen to the Yankees if there's nobody else on.