Things about me (or, what began as a short list and keep trying to trim down because it's *way* TMI):
* I have a good sense of humor and tend to employ it in most situations. I can be serious, but the alternative is so much more fun.
* I'm both reserved and chatty. Go figure. I don't know how to explain it. And I tend to say what I'm thinking, whether it's wise to or not.
* I don't like arguing or confrontation. I like to keep things light, smooth, and have everyone get along.
* I'm very self-sufficient and happy with my own company. I am single because while I WANT a man in my life, I don't NEED a man in my life. I value time alone and can always find ways to fill up my free time.
* I'm somewhere between an optimist and a realist. In my heart, I always feel that things are going to turn out right. In my head, I know I ought to know better.
* I have a graduate degree and work in book publishing, so hard to imagine we're not a match if you don't enjoy reading. Bonus points, though, if fellow comic book fan.
* I don't like crowds or being amid lots of people I don't know. But when I have to, I can get out there and work a room.
* Politically, in my gut I'm libertarian, but I'm experienced enough in life to know the hellish dystopia we'd have without a social safety net.
* Not big on technology. I have a beautiful library of books I've built over 20 years, and they will never be replaced by an e-reader. Also a "slow news" guy: I'd rather read a thoughtful, comprehensive piece about an event the next day in the New York Times than get constant tweets about it as it happens.
I'm told my eyes, smile, and laugh--but then again, that could be from people who've realized that flattery gets you everywhere with me ;-)
Books: I love both a good story and great information, so I read both fiction and nonfiction. I like history, science, humor. I'm usually in the middle of several books at any given time, though it may take weeks or months to finish them. (I'm a slow reader with little time to indulge my love of reading.) I've been building a good library of fine editions for almost 20 years now. I'm also big on comic books with an extensive collection.
Movies: Hard to get me out to the movies these days unless it has a Marvel superhero or space ships--it all comes to cable (which I'm already paying for) or DVD (yes, I still buy those). But I'll take comedy, sci fi, horror, or special effects-laden fare over Oscar-whoring stuff any day. Favorite movie of all time is E.T.
Food: I love food--I live to eat, not eat to live. I will try eating almost anything once. (Though I do draw the line at insects.) I like to cook--and if you love to do dishes, you're a keeper! I can enjoy a nice date at any restaurant, though my favorite cuisines are Japanese, Thai, and Italian.
And if things include family, friends, my cat ... yeah, no short list is forthcoming.
And daydreaming is always an option, too.
But in terms of what you probably really want to know, in a game of catch I prefer to pitch.
--and if I haven't scared you off ;-)