1) I'm writing a book. Apparently the secret to being a writer is to write something. I wish someone had told me sooner.
2) I grew up in Ireland, which is pretty much the anti-Denver. Think of every day it's sunny here, and then imagine it raining instead. That's Ireland.
3) I hiked the first half of the Appalachian Trail in 2004, and the second half in 2011. By the end I had dropped thirty pounds, lost the feeling in my right hip and thigh, and started blacking out while I walked. But in return I got to spend the summer hiking through leafy greenness and sleeping under stars.
4) I was the Director of Operations at a small business until last year. And then I had a moment where I realized I could work there until I retired and not be unhappy, but not really be happy either. And I thought, you know, the day may come when I settle for not unhappy. But until then, I'm going to keep trying for happy.
5) I like board games, card games, word games, lawn games, party games, pub trivia and, if we're being completely honest, Truth or Dare. I enjoy playing soccer and basketball way out of proportion to how talented I am at either one. And ultimate frisbee. I like that too.
6) I think about things. It might be what I'm best at.
7) I have a Venus flytrap. Its name is Snappy. It lives in a big glass jar on my bedside table. Sometimes I talk to Snappy before falling asleep. Mostly just to encourage Snappy to be the best flytrap it can be.
8) I like people who are kind, and I don't like people who aren't.
9) I hope you find what you're looking for on this site. I hope we all do. (Seriously. We're all on the same team here, you know.)
Books: Midnight's Children, The Toughest Indian in the World, The Tombs of Atuan, The Illywhacker, A Stolen Life, Speaker for the Dead, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, A Prayer for Owen Meany, Who's Who in Hell, Erik the Viking, The Sparrow, Life of Pi, Cryptonomicon, The Last Dancer, Ceremony, Le Petit Prince, The Hunger Games, A Fire Upon the Deep, Long Walk to Freedom, The Return of the King, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, A Journey to the Center of the Earth, A Visit from the Goon Squad, Angela's Ashes, L'Étrange Destin de Wangrin, A Game of Thrones, Wicked, American Gods, Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, The Glass Castle, The Elegance of the Hedgehog, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, The Dead Will Arise, Cutting for Stone
Movies: Too many to list here
Shows: Firefly, That 70s Show, The Office, Friday Night Lights, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Battlestar Galactica, Parks and Recreation, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Girls, Father Ted, Dead Like Me, Downton Abbey, The Daily Show, Orange is the New Black, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Music: Gregory Alan Isakov (This Empty Northern Hemisphere), Mumford and Sons (Sigh No More), Liz Longley (Hot Loose Wire), Willard Grant Conspiracy (Regard the End), The Decemberists (The King Is Dead), John Dee Graham (The Great Battle), Gillian Welch (Soul Journey), Ron Vanzo (Vanished), Girlyman (Supernova), Over the Rhine (Ohio), Andrea Lynn (The Mountains and the Sea), Boca Chica (Lace Up Your Workboots), Brandi Carlile (The Story), Of Monsters and Men (My Head is an Animal), Josh Ritter (The Animal Years), Joe Pug (Messenger), Lucy Wainwright Roche (Lucy), Leonard Cohen (Old Ideas), The Head and the Heart (The Head and the Heart), Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros (Here), Emily Rodgers and Her Majesty's Stars (Emily Rodgers and Her Majesty's Stars)
Food: Mmm . . . food . . .