Write a little about yourself. Just a paragraph will do.
Let's see. I am transitioning to Birmingham in close to two months
(that is correct, I am not there quite yet). I am a scientist. My
parents still don't understand what I do. My grandma seems to have
a better grasp, go grandma!
I feel pressured to write more things about myself.
I am at my first real job. Everyday I celebrate another successful
impersonation of adulthood ("Clean ALL THE THINGS!!")
I'd like to give a shout out to my students; no, you don't have to
point out in class that you ran into my profile online; yes, I am a
real human; no, I won't be friends with you on Facebook now; no,
this won't be on the exam.
What I’m doing with my life
Don’t overthink this one; tell us what you’re doing day-to-day.
Making the science happen, one data point at a time.
I’m really good at
Go on, brag a little (or a lot). We won’t judge.
- Editing bad student writing.
- Maintaining sanity while editing bad student writing.
- Finding art in people's garbage -- the clean kind of garbage not
the icky kind, well, you get the idea.
- Also, working, working a lot, and getting along with other people
who work a lot, get it? :) But also those who can adventure and
The first things people usually notice about me
I’m an empty essay… fill me out!
A three year old once told me I had "shiny eyes" - then proceeded
to try to take them from me.
Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
Help your potential matches find common interests.
- Game of Thrones
- Walking Dead
- Things Joss Whedon makes
- Deadwood :)
- The Killing, yes, The Killing.
- and also True Detective ...
- and also Orphan Black...
.... I think I may watch too much TV....
- IQ84 :D, The Wind Up Bird Chronicles
- Icarus Girl
- Ender's Shadow, that's right, I wrote that.
- Oryx and Crake and that whole dystopian trilogy.
Recently Listened to:
- NPR. A lot. Do you Like Radiolab? Because yay. And Invisibilia,
you are coming along nicely.
- The Smiths
- Passion Pit
- LCD Sound System
- Music that my better schooled baristas pick out for me.
- Humans of NY (Do you know it?!)
- I like to eat, a lot.
The six things I could never do without
Think outside the box. Sometimes the little things can say a lot.
1. A shower in the morning. Two words: water. pressure.
2. A coffee in the morning.
3. A friend to call.
4. A good nearby coffeeshop. Baristas whose names I know.
5. Climbing walls (literally, you know, in the gym).
I spend a lot of time thinking about
Global warming, lunch, or your next vacation… it’s all fair game.
Balancing authority and friendliness with students who are pretty
much my age.
On a typical Friday night I am
Netflix and takeout, or getting your party on — how do you let loose?
I initially wrote "veggying" but let's face it, I am either out
with friends, or working in a coffeeshop.
Okay, okay, truth: I am writing a grant while clicking cute cat
videos on Facebook.
The most private thing I’m willing to admit
I’m an empty essay… fill me out!
The most private things I'm willing to admit ON THE INTERNET is
that my own profile makes me giggle.
You should message me if
Offer a few tips to help matches win you over.
If you are looking for good company.
Bonus points if you are a bit nerdy.
Minus points if you are crazy.
Plus points if you are crazy in a good way.
It's a complicated system.
Who are you looking for?
This helps us know who to show you on OkCupid.