Find better matches with our advanced
47 • Washington, DC • Man
I’m looking for
- Women who like men
- Ages 26–40
- Near me
- Who are single
- For new friends, long-term dating, short-term dating
- Last Online
- Sep 6
- 5′ 6″ (1.68m)
- Body Type
- Agnosticism, but not too serious about it
- Scorpio, but it doesn’t matter
- Graduated from Ph.D program
- Politics / Government
- Relationship Status
- Relationship Type
- Likes dogs and likes cats
- English (Fluently), French (Okay), Russian (Poorly), Croatian (Poorly), Serbian (Poorly)
Making people laugh at staff meetings
Roughhousing with large dogs
Natural light photography
Portraits in pencil
Spontaneity (my word for suggesting a weekend outing on Friday at 3 pm)
Taking my time (sometimes this might seem like procrastination)
Thinking outside the box
Understanding different points of view
Finding the right words
Being there when it matters
Creative gifts and unusual gift-wrapping
Cooking on a fire, and sometimes in a more civilized manner
Singing in the shower (and occasionally other venues)
* I make my own furniture.
* I lived three years in a 1951 travel trailer with birch interior and an outside shower I accessed through the window behind my desk. I miss it.
* I used to lead search and rescue missions.
* I bake stollen at Christmas, and sometimes mail some to friends.
* I spent some time in jail in Kosovo because Milosevic didn't like what I was doing.
* Other people's young children and pets tend to adore me. Adore. To an uncanny degree that defies explanation.
Movies: A far from complete list of favorites, in no particular order... The Mission, Matewan, A River Runs Through It, Aliens, Star Wars etc, Kieslowski's Red, White, Blue trilogy, Fire, Earth, Water, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Lars and the Real Girl, Life is Beautiful, Swing Kids, A Beautiful Mind, Master and Commander, Gladiator, Good Night and Good Luck, Cold Mountain, A Love Song for Bobby Long, Amistad, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Blade Runner, The Incredibles, The Triplets of Belleville, The Wind that Shakes the Barley, L.A. Confidential, American Beauty, Magnolia, Lost in Translation, Sex and Lucia, Joyeux Noel, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Heat, No Man's Land, Goodbye Lenin, The Lives of Others, A Short Film about Killing, Hotel Rwanda, Hunt for Red October, An Inconvenient Truth, Ken Burns' Civil War, Ken Burns' Jazz, Brazil, Das Boot, Dances with Wolves, Last of the Mohicans, Blues Brothers, A Fish Called Wanda, Cast Away, Peacemaker, Platoon, Fiddler on the Roof, Ben Hur, Masada, Much Ado About Nothing (Brannagh/Thompson), Henry V (Brannagh/Thompson), Shakespeare in Love, Sunshine, The English Patient, Sense and Sensibility (Thompson/Winslet), Becoming Jane, the earlier Harry Potters, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Sin City, Pulp Fiction, Sunshine Cleaning, Bagdad Cafe, O Brother Where Art Thou, Rob Roy, Pan's Labyrinth ...
Music: Jazz! By which I principally mean the type that reaches down the throat of your soul and tickles the gravelly underbelly of the beast in your dreams until it giggles, wishes you a good night and kisses you on the cheek. I've encountered this phenomenon in the Dixieland, Big Band/Swing, Gypsy, Straight Ahead, Bebop, Hard Bop, Modal, Latin, and even Fusion varieties (but NOT the "smooth jazz" nonsense). For instance, The Feeling of Jazz by Dianne Reeves and the Wynton Marsalis Quartet, Wynton and co.'s treatment of Sing On or Big Lip Blues, Django Reinhardt's Minor Swing, Gershwin's Summertime done by just about anybody, Cannonball Adderly's Dancing in the Dark, Herbie Hancock's Cantaloupe Island or Watermelon Man (but also check out Pancho Sanchez's version), Pancho Sanchez's version of Bésame Mama, Cold Duck Time or just about anything, Mr. Zoot Suit by the Flying Neutrinos, Stitched Up with Jon Mayer helping out Herbie Hancock... Oh why did I even start? This could go on for pages, and still not get to the quieter types that just charm the beast or soothe it to sleep. Locally, I'm a fervent fan of the Bohemian Caverns Jazz Orchestra.
It's not only jazz, though - I also enjoy classical (Dvorak especially), folk, blues, rock, etc. Kind of missed out on the indie scene, but I'm beginning to explore it. I like my music complex and meaningful, and generally not morose or angry. Not a rap fan.
Jazz, and other music that stirs the soul
Variety of food*, information, and weather**
*I like Ethiopian food, but found a month of eating nothing else a bit much.
**Grad school in southern CA taught me how much I appreciate rain... and seasons. I grew up in VA and I'm happy to be back!
▪ The best way to organize and express thoughts - I'm good at it, but it can take time. It's a significant part of my work, but also how I relate to others in general. It's why deep conversations with me may involve some pregnant pauses followed by bursts of articulation.
▪ Finding a reasonable balance between hearing good live music and other necessities.
▪ Places to go hiking or travelling and who would come with me.
▪ Whom I should invite over for dinner.
▪ Correcting my mysterious failure to find the quite the right woman at quite the right time. (Now would be a good time...)
Connect your existing OkCupid account
Restore your account to continue meeting new people.
Reset your password
We’ll email you a link to reset it.
An email is on its way to . If you don’t see it, try checking your Spam folder.