Hi there! I like to do neat stuff in and around Austin (Alamo D-house, Trail of Lights, Long Center concerts, Dinner Lab, iFly indoor skydiving, etc.). Doing them alone is not nearly as fun as with someone. I like creating things (masks, costumes, electronic doo-dads, board games, a segment in a cable access show). Again, doing this alone stinks. I also crave physical affection – hugging, snuggling, kissing, etc. That totally does not work solo. For now I'm looking for a friend and a snuggle-buddy. I'm not looking for sex – (That's not my goal. If that evolves naturally, fine.) – but I do crave human contact.
If that's ok with you, check my profile out and get to know me a bit. Like what you see? Ping me and we'll do dinner somewhere pleasant like Galaxy Café or Black Star Co-Op.
Note: I was going to leave Austin at the end of May '13. This is no longer true. This factoid is reflected in the answer to several of my survey Questions. If you see references to my leaving Austin, please disregard them. Thanks!
Here's a random free-association list of factoids about me:
* My wife of nearly 11 years and I separated more than a year ago and are divorcing. It's amicable and we have no children. This experience has not damaged me (although it was painful); it has only made me better, wiser, and stronger. This is first not because it is most important to me, but it may be a deal-breaker for you, and I don't want to waste your time.
* When I take personality/assessment tests, I consistently score neutrally. Myers-Briggs? Right in the middle. A test-giver once called me a "zero personality." However offensive that might sound on the surface, it means is that I get along with a wide range of people, and people tend to find me likable.
* I like shirts with hawaiian prints on them.
* My favorite holiday is Halloween. I always make my own costume. I'm equally happy going to a Halloween party at a friend's house, going down to 6th street (though I prefer it earlier before it gets crazy-crowded), or staying at home (though if doing that, I like to do something special to amuse the Treaters).
* I'm very creative and productive; a semi-professional board game designer. I've designed over 120 board games and made them available for free as print-and-play PDFs. I've had three published games (one which was the first successful board game on Kickstarter), have licensed a fourth, and a fifth has been released as an iOS game.
* I'm enacting the first steps of a plan to leverage myself into the computer game industry. I intend to use my vast library of designs to fuel a series of web/mobile games.
* I'm finishing the first draft of a book about applying practical philosophy to deconstructing and reinventing game design. I've delivered this as a presentation several times, including at a Nerd Nite. I've also started to deliver parts of this as a 10-minute segment called "Gamestorming" – part of the cable access show "Fanboy TV." I like public speaking. It's fun!
* Smart = Totally hot. Competency = Sexy. I want to hear all the deep thoughts and clever ideas you have. Are you crazy-good at something? Show off for me and share it with me 'cause I think that's splendid.
* When it's time to commit to a relationship, I do so with unconditional love and complete trust. On the latter: I don't do jealousy and I won't second-guess you. When I trust you, all I need is your word. I sincerely hope you can offer the same.
* On August 28th, I will leave a job as a Support Manager for a small company that provides website solutions for K-12 school districts (The new job starts September 3rd.). In this position I worked from home M-F 8-5 for over two years. It had its advantages and disads. It also meant that I was home a lot. I'm good with evenings at home, but I like to get out of the house when possible. I am fairly extroverted.
* I can make mozzarella from scratch in about an hour. It is the best, freshest cheese you've ever had. I can also make pizza dough from scratch. If you can make a kickin' tomato sauce, we're good to go.
* I'm a fan of the ATX Hackerspace and the TechShop in Round Rock. If you're crafty/techie/hacky, that's a plus in my book. If you are, and you're not a member of one or both, seriously consider it. Aside from being full of smart people, near-unlimited access to the laser cutter is worth the price of membership.
* I'm a lapsed rock climber and a fledgling skydiver. Apparently I like sports that require technical equipment that's kept in top shape with specific procedures you must follow to keep yourself from serious injury. Seriously, though: Rock climbing is a great thinking person's sport. Very strategic, and that's way cool. Skydiving? It has the best combination of excitement, freedom, and serene bliss I've had the privilege to experience. Amusingly, about 10 years ago, I was terrified of heights. Fear: Conquered. Lately I've been playing Ultimate, Hotbox, Soccer, and Volleyball with a small group of friends on Sundays.
* I did a little yoga when I had a gym membership, but stopped when I canceled the membership. I liked the yoga a lot, even though (because, actually) I am not very flexible. If you practice yoga, that's appealing 'cause I'd like to get back into it.
* I used to only see movies at the Alamo Drafthouse, but now I like The Moviehouse and Eatery out near The Oasis. It has spoiled me for all other movie theaters (Though Flix was ok...). Violet Crown Theater was pleasant, but not awesome.
* I believe in honesty, assertiveness, frugality, and reliability. I reaffirm these resolutions every New Year's Eve. Please note that frugality does not equate to being stingy. It just means that I live within my means. My friends and I also have a tradition of singing The Rainbow Connection each New Year's.
* My favorite way to order at a new restaurant is to ask the waiter to bring me his/her current favorite dish, prepared the way he/she likes it. I've tried plenty of things I would not otherwise have tried and I've never received something bad. I have no significant food hang-ups or allergies, and I love new experiences. Pro tip: Ask for this at Which Wich when they are not busy – they react well to this 'cause they /never/ get asked their opinion.
If you're looking for a smart, engaged, collaborator to share your interests with, ping me. It's fun to learn new things - especially with a partner! New food, new music, new places, new people, new sensations... Bring it on!