Born and raised in Honolulu, I went to a small liberal arts college
in Portland and finally fulfilled my dream of moving to New York
about a year and a half ago.
What I’m doing with my life
I'm currently a policy analyst for a city agency and have a passion
for education policy. I'm hoping to start grad school for some sort
of sociology/education field within the next couple of years. I
spent my senior year of college writing a thesis that studied the
perpetuation of inequalities in our public school system and hope
to continue similar projects.
I’m really good at
- making lists
- sitting at coffee shops for hours
- doing research
- walking quickly
The first things people usually notice about me
My height. I'm tiny! After that, probably my smile - must be the
Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
- Anna Karenina
- Madame Bovary
- Lady Chatterley's Lover (I seem to have a thing for trapped
- Orientalism (I have a huge crush on Said)
- The Year of Dreaming Dangerously (I go in and out of Žižek
- East of Eden
- Notes from Underground
- The Battle of Algiers
- The Lives of Others
- Lust, Caution
- Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight
- Cinema Paradiso
- Le Ballon Rouge
- Москва слезам не верит
- Kramer vs. Kramer
I eat almost anything but am always in the mood for dim sum,
chocolate, Korean, and Japanese food. I've actually been keeping a
list of every single restaurant I've tried.
The six things I could never do without
- My camera. I take a lot of photos.
- Dessert. A meal doesn't feel complete without a sweet
- Earrings. There are actually only two pairs that I wear over and
over, but you will almost never see me without earrings, unless I'm
exercising, sleeping, or underwater.
- The WiFi password -- because I'm a product of my
- Google Calendar. Not only do I make too many lists, but I also
obsessively maintain a calendar that I constantly check for tasks
that I have to do every day.
- Friends. Cliche, I know, but I'm still amazed by how much I
depend emotionally on my close friends scattered all over the
I spend a lot of time thinking about
The most private thing I’m willing to admit
I danced ballet for 13 years, even though I wasn't very good. I
also took piano lessons for the same amount of time (like a good
Asian) and am, fortunately, fairly decent on the piano.
You should message me if
You want to try some restaurant or coffee shop with me. Or, you
have something interesting to say about the social construction of