Intersectional radical woman of colour writing analyses of power and neocolonialism in science fiction and fantasy. Also a published writer of said science fiction and fantasy. Not always feminist-identified, but working on articulating a Malaysian feminism with some friends. I am Chinese, of Hainanese extract. I am also a grad student, which means anything from "I am intelligent phwoar" to "I have super anxiety issues" to "please don't let me talk about my work for more than five minutes or else I will bore you to death" to "I am flaky as shit sometimes sorry". I don't suffer fools gladly and am a dirty little socialist.
If that didn't scare the shit out of you, I am actually capable of normal activities like watching TV and movies, hiking, clubbing, and going out to try some new eats somewhere. I especially like sewing and gardening, so if you like that too, ping. If I like you enough, you may get to sample my cooking, which as far as these things go, is pretty darn decent.
Revising a novel. Writing short stories and poetry. Improving my sewing. Raising earthworms. Keeping my apartment from becoming a biohazard to my tenuous health. Amending the terrible soil of my garden. You know. Life things.
Books, fiction: i. The Color Purple, by Alice Walker; ii. Herland, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman; iii. The Redemption of Althalus, by David and Leigh Eddings. Current changeable favourite: ????
I am indeed one of those nerds on GoodReads. Currently reading: INSIDE A SILVER BOX by Walter Mosley (he's coming to Riverside to speak!!)
Movies: Holy SciFi Trinity = The Fifth Element; Jupiter Ascending; Pacific Rim.
Also Mulan (not the cartoon, you peasant), Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind, The Color Purple.
TV Series: Dresden Files, Avatar: The Last Airbender (Korra is dead to me, do not ever speak to me of it). Props to you if you remember Thundercats, She-Ra: Princess of Power, and Jem and the Holograms. Also Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys!
Music: Gary Numan (dark electronic), Nightwish (symphonic metal), Sonata Arctica (power metal), Rammstein (industrial), Vagabond Opera (Yiddish/Eastern European cabaret), Vernian Process (steampunk electronica), Pink (pop), The Clockwork Dolls (symphonic electronica), Unwoman (indie goth rock), Muhammad Assaf (Arab pop/folk), Alexander Rybak (Russian pop/folk), and various various assorted others. Currently hooked on HAMILTON! ("If Washington isn’t gon’ listen / To disciplined / dissidents, / this is the / difference: / This kid is out!")
Food: Jasmine rice. Maggi Mee. Roti canai. Kari meen. Whole deep-fried fish. Bak kut teh. Fast food (it's tastier in Malaysia). And I have a habit of trying out unajyu in every Japanese restaurant I try. I'm not much of a foodie, and I have a pretty carb-high diet, so I can be difficult to eat out with. Still, I'm not opposed to trying out Korean BBQs, hot pot / steamboat places, Japanese restos, HK cafes, Vietnamese and Thai places.
I also love chocolate chip cookies, like, a lot.
6) Some semblance of meaningful activity.
Actually I spend most of the time thinking about my PhD and how I can get it finished on time without killing myself. And my students' work.
Also, my garden, my writing projects, and the next thing to sew.
But yeah, vertical farms, y'all.
"In short," I replied, "I'm not real."
Also, I sew to the Saber Rider theme song.
- you're genuinely interested in the shit I talk about in my profile. Ask me no generic, boring questions, I will give you no generic, boring answers. Ask me something shallow or so broad it's meaningless, and you're liable to get ignored. And if you can't find anything to ask in the hundreds of words on my profile? I just-- WHY NOT?
- I checked out your profile more than once and didn't message you, probably because your profile is so empty or generic I can't come up with anything to say to you that would be remotely interesting. This is strangely, discombobulatingly, common.
- you need a hobby friend! Sewing, gardening, drawing specifically. I can't drive so you'd have to be local but I am always down to chatting about recent projects. (Maybe also writing but I currently don't have time or spoons to beta-read anybody's stuff.) I also like going to conventions (steampunk, comic, media, SFF, less so anime though) and am trying to hit up more local stuff, so there is also that.
- you wanna hear about socialist squirrels and proletariat earthworms. You may not use this as an opening gambit to ask for sex afterward.
- you can hold a conversation in text based on the above, because I refuse to meet people offline until I've had proof you can carry on a substantial conversation. Sometimes it's me being a snob. Sometimes it's me being overly-anxious and srsly let's just not waste each other's precious offline time. The only exception to this is if you are a really hot Asian my age or older with an attitude compatible with mine, in which case, why are you single?
Messages of the following flavours will be ignored because I have just this few fucks to give:
"Hi, my name is"
"Hi, how are you"
"Hi, you're cute"
"Hi, I think you are interesting"
"Hi, wanna chat"
"Hi, wanna fuck"
"Hi, would you go out with me"
"Hi, here is my phone number"
"Hi, [long message rambling about various things that show some tangential relation to stuff on my profile but really reads as a request for a date / sex]"