I'm Jewish, originally from California and miss my friends but Florida is now my home. Not in any rush to get home to dear old dad and his criticisms. I'm planning on changing the world, or at least making a dent...
I loved law school. I believe anyone can do anything if they try hard enough.
I am a good motivator, a great listener, and try to be there when someone needs me (regardless of the circumstances).
I'm an ISTJ, if that sort of thing matters to you. Law school taught me to see all sides of an issue and I tend to play Devil's Advocate with my friends rather than merely agreeing with everything they say.
I am an education snob and can't stand it when people can't write a grammatically correct sentence or write like tHEy aRe on CRaCK (by the way, you would be surprised how many of my law school classmates were horrible writers).
I don't like people who think they are trendy when in actuality they sound like morons (nobody in California calls it "Cali", nobody in San Francisco calls it "Frisco", and nobody at USC calls it "Southern Cal").
I can be a bitch at times but I take pride in knowing when I should...
I'm a negative optimist (or maybe I should be called a positive pessimist). I'm also a misanthropic extrovert.
Back when I was tan I was told I looked like a Latina. That was a bit of a problem because people would assume I spoke and understood Spanish. I'm actually 100 percent Jewish (both parents and all four grandparents), one-third Russian descent (both paternal grandparents were born there) and one-third Polish descent (both maternal grandparents were born there).
I learned some Spanish by osmosis and can communicate in Spanglish because I lived in California and it was a residency necessity. I was a rebel and took Latin in high school (helpful for being the one in law school who understands the archaic legal terms, not so much when trying to communicate with people in Miami). I can read Hebrew but have no idea what I'm reading. I'm the living embodiment of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding":
Ian Miller: How do you say "thank you" in Greek?
Nick: "Oréa viziá."
Ian Miller: "Oréa viziá." [English translation: "Nice boobs."]
The major difference is I would make sure to say "thank you".
Mens regnum bona possidet.
An honest heart is a kingdom in itself
I like playing with words. I like split infinitives and indirect objects.
I believe in magic. I like to daydream.
I like to ask questions because I want to expand my horizons and understand differing ideas and perspectives. I like searching for answers, researching to find the elusive piece of the puzzle. I find those things that are not obvious to be the most thought-provoking and intriguing.
I love the outdoors: walks in the park, gardens and nurseries. I love the rain here in Florida where I can jog in it or laugh at how others are such wimps and think they will melt if they get wet (think "Wizard of Oz"). It would be amazing to find someone to run with in the rain, who didn't mind that others might think she was a little off-center for doing it. Jogging in the morning with a breeze hitting me makes me connect with the natural world (I know, a form of escapism). I recently discovered that I like fishing and can bait my own hook.
I don't judge others and only ask for the same respect in return. Nothing is more frustrating to me than being totally open to someone and having her want to change me. I'm not looking to be changed except to have someone special in my life. That will have the biggest influence.
I cannot stand McCarthy logic where I'm guilty until I can prove I'm innocent. Just because I'm accused of something doesn't mean I have to disprove what was said, especially when there is no proof that the accusation is correct. FYI, if you really want to dig up dirt on me you can do it pretty easily. That I don't want to give you my phone number in the first five chats isn't proof of anything except that I don't want to give you my number.
Social justice motivates me (I interned at Guardian ad Litem) and I'm amazed when people show their true bigoted colors. I'm not an activist but I'm passionate about the causes that matter to me. I will also call out anyone who feels it is their right to isolate a defined group (DADT and California's Proposition 8 come to mind).
When I started dating I was in love with the thought of true love. My parents divorced and I wanted to try everything possible to make a relationship last. Now, I am more of a believer in fate, mostly because love has been so elusive. I'm looking for my wingwoman.
I would rather be single and dating for the rest of my life than commit to someone just for the convenience of being in a relationship. I don't want to settle down with the wrong person because it would be the easy thing to do. I want a relationship that has passion and depth and where the connection, communication, caring and understanding are mutual. That's not too much to ask, right? :-)
I grew up near the beach and still love the water. I played soccer and ran x-country in high school though I'm not in as great shape anymore. I go to L.A. Fitness every weekday morning at around 5:30 right after it opens and I'm a regular in the spinning class. Bonus point for you if you know what a spinning class is. My new year's resolution every year is to get in better shape. I'm sure you have heard that before. This time I mean it. Yeah, right...
* I'm looking for that elusive person out there who completes me (and who will let me complete her). I'm enjoying the ride and I'm patient.
* My personal philosophy is borrowed from the musical, "Rent": Forget regret or life is yours to miss; No other road, no other way; No day but today.
* I'm not ashamed of having an education and I'm looking for someone who will proudly share her opinions and her intellect.
... Here is some more about me, if you really care...
* I hate wearing makeup and most days you can find me in sweats or jeans and a t-shirt.
* I'm anything but girly but I'm very feminine (bonus points if you know the difference).
* I am made up of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.
* I hate the color pink but the one time I was a bridesmaid she had to choose pink for the dress (my luck).
* I don't drink any longer and have never been drunk.
* Some people find me arrogant because I have no patience for anyone who is immature or unrealistic.
* I have more patience for dogs than I do for people and I'll approach a strange dog before I'll approach a strange person.
* I am usually shy around people I dont know and tend to be introverted, but I am trusting, sometimes to a fault.
* I am an open book but will tell someone if they cross the line.
* I don't like to be judged.
* I hate posers and people who embellish the truth for their benefit.
* I consider myself a sexual being and confident in my sexuality.
* I am not comfortable getting compliments but I like hearing them anyway.
* I perform random acts of kindness and like watching someone's reaction when I tell them to just pay it forward.
* All of my favorite shows on TV seem to get cancelled (my favorite was West Wing).
* I prefer wearing a sports bra to a conventional bra.
* I don't ever drink fruit juice and very rarely drink soda.
* I don't have a sweet tooth but I have a thing for frozen yogurt and sorbet.
* I think girls who wear club clothes anywhere but a club have self-esteem issues.
* I hate my Jewish nose but hate the idea of plastic surgery even more.
* I hate that my dad thinks he is so superior to me.
* I confide in my friends more than my parents; true friends will give me their opinions without judging or telling me what I should do or what I should have done.
* There is no better feeling in the world than catching someone checking me out in *that way* even if it is a guy.
* I think compliments from girls are more sincere than those coming from guys.
* Now that I'm 30 I understand why people lie about their age.
* I have clothes in my closet that I haven't worn in a few years but I'm holding out hope that they will fit again.
* I don't think men understand women at all (case in point: the bra was invented by a guy).
* I don't like to be touched by people I don't know.
* I envy athletic people and wish I had been blessed with more athleticism.
* I envy athletic girls because there is nothing sexier from a carnal standpoint than someone in great shape.
* I think most California women my age are too self-conscious but at least they try to look good.
* I find most Israelis naturally sexy.
* I envy people who have the courage to follow their heart regardless of what others might say.
* I still like running through the rain like I was a kid; I still get the urge to run through sprinklers and have never regretted doing it even if people think I'm a dork.
* I started keeping a journal during my junior year of high school and kept it until I graduated from UCLA.
* I used to think everything in my journal was private, and now I talk about things far more personal on a couple sites.
* I love the beach and used to go jogging on the beach a few times a week, but I hate swimming.
* I love watching people at the beach.
* I love watching soccer, gymnastics and figure skating.
* I'm more attracted to brunettes than blondes but I tried becoming a blonde once right after my bat mitzvah with some cheap bottle and lemon juice (it couldn't grow back dark fast enough).
* I love to go blading and don't know why I don't do it more often.
* Jogging and going to the gym in the morning is my personal time and motivates me to get the day going.
* I can be self-conscious of my appearance but it doesn't stop me from working out in just a sports bra at the gym.
* I admit I have scammed on girls at the gym when I was at UCLA and more recently at L.A. Fitness.
* I never naturally pulled an all-nighter when I was at UCLA or in law school.
* My conscience tends to be right, but I have ignored it in a couple relationships.
* I don't live with regret and instead try to learn from all of my mistakes and not duplicate them.
* I make a lot of new mistakes.
* I consider myself a non-practicing Jew because I don't keep kosher, I don't observe Shabbat, and I don't go to temple every week.
* Even though I am Jewish, I think one of the most life-affirming musicians is Michael W. Smith, a Christian Contemporary singer and composer.
* I have done things on a dare that I can't believe I did.
* I am a cuddle whore when watching a movie with someone.
* The two movies that had the biggest impact on how I want to live my life are Dead Poets Society and Philadelphia.
* I like living alone and have no problem walking around in just my underwear.
* I like to cook but don't like cleaning up and I hate dirty dishes in the sink, so I rarely cook for just myself.
* I occasionally wake up in a hot sweat, and not because the A/C was not turned down low enough.
* My favorite color is blue.
* I think manna from Heaven must have tasted like Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Swirl bread.
* I think Tom Hanks would make a cool dad.
* I went through a black phase when I was in high school.
* I miss the pace and desire that you find in California.
* Denzel Washington is the best looking man I have ever seen.
* I love short hair but I'm too chicken to get mine cut short.
* I hate seeing photos taken of me that show a profile.
* I never get tired of seeing The Lion King.
* I never fit in at my high school.
* The best I ever hoped for in high school was being invisible.
* I believe in the underdog, the disadvantaged, and the underrepresented.
* I am altruistic and think that deep down everyone has a good heart.
* I dream in color.
* I believe all kids need parental supervision and I detest that some parents think that society should babysit their kids.
* I don't remember much of the Hebrew I learned in Hebrew School or the Spanish I learned at UCLA.
* I will never get any tattoos even though I find some really attractive.
* I have considered having my belly button pierced but chickened out both times I went to have it done.
* I miss having a girlfriend to talk to about anything.
* I know that Haagen-Dazs doesn't mean anything in any language, but boy is it yummy.
* I love to read and don't mind when someone realizes I'm nerdcore (hardcore nerd).
* I jaywalked regularly in California but fear for my life doing it here in Florida.
* I don't like surprises and I try to move slowly before committing to a relationship.
* I speak and analyze things differently now that I have completed law school.
* I tend to win arguments so don't even try me.
* I TRY to stay away from drama, but have found that the people who say they don't do drama are the ones you want to avoid!
* I love to exercise and can't explain why I didn't do it while I was in law school.
* I find my dad to be arrogant, closed-minded, bigoted, and unhappy.
* My dad has made me cry just by talking to me.
* I will never forget the expression on my dad's face the first time he saw me folding my thongs in the laundry.
* I envy some people for being stronger than I am and I vow to be a better person.
* Girls who are intelligent and aren't ashamed of it impress me.
* I've been told that I'm an acquired taste. I say someone who judges me should acquire some taste.
I am pugnacious, liberal, and cerebral
Movies: Ghost, Dead Poets Society, The Emperor's Club, Pay It Forward, Dave, Doing Time on Maple Drive, Enchanted, Dirty Dancing, Defiance, My Cousin Vinny, Man of the Year, Wall Street, Pretty Woman, Wag the Dog, Good Will Hunting, Philadelphia, The Paper Chase, The Man in the Moon, Lost and Delirious, But I'm a Cheerleader, Havoc, Rent, Phantom of the Opera, Hairspray, Grease, Fiddler on the Roof, Lion King, Princess Diaries, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast
TV: Suits, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, The Daily Show, The Newsroom, CSI, Glee, The Real L Word, Blue Bloods, Flashpoint
I also listen to NPR, Todd Schnitt and occasionally Rush Limbaugh to hear what both sides are ranting about.
If you understood that then you are allowed to read on...
Any of the following qualities in someone would definitely make me smile (the more qualities the bigger the smile!)...
1) Someone who falls asleep with the TV on
2) Someone who isn't afraid to speak her mind
3) Someone who thinks a Netflix night is as good or better than going to a movie in a theater
4) Someone who doesn't judge others
5) Someone who loves the beach, nature, and true beauty
6) Someone who loves sushi
7) Someone who isn't afraid to try something new
8) Someone who will question rather than accepting blindly
9) Someone who doesn't feel compelled to do what society thinks she should do
10) Someone able to resist a stupid lawyer joke