I was raised in Belgium, prior to my family's relocation to the Midwest in Junior High, but I have lived in Phoenix for the past 15 years. As a result of this upringing, I have an equal amount of respect for those who are cultured/intelligent, as I do for those who are thoughtful/genuine. Although, over the years, the latter has become more important.
I'm pensive, yet kind and outgoing (in a non-obnoxious way), with a witty sense of observational humor. I am independent and assertive, yet have deeply close relationships w/friends+family.
I am comfortable in my skin and at ease with who I am. I am ready to exchange stories (and laugh) w/a "partner-in-crime", but I have no problem spending time alone in lieu of spending time w/someone who isn't a good fit.
I am a "seeker"...of new ideas, others' interesting stories, and solutions to problems. I'm thoughtful and educated, and I commit myself to whatever is in front of me. I run a marketing firm that caters to small/medium-sized businesses, and I have additional business ideas I hope to develop in the next 2-3 years. I love the freedom, flexibility and independence my business affords me to do things I enjoy personally, like traveling and attending the theatre regularly (Broadway is an annual trip).
I got the traveling bug at a young age. I was raised in a military family and traveled across the US, throughout much of Europe (via planes, trains and automobiles) and in parts of Africa, before the age of 12. I have returned to Europe every couple of years since childhood, volunteered for a Summer in Senegal, spent quality time exploring Australia and New Zealand, and I'll be working remotely and exploring Bali and Bahrain in 2015 (so far).
I love to laugh...really LAUGH...with those around me at the absurd moments life presents. I love observing others (as well as myself), and I appreciate differences, as much as similarities. As far as I'm concerned, learning to appreciate differences is a clear sign of emotional maturity.
What I'm looking for...There are going to be variables I may not have thought of, but here are some general ideas floating around in my mind (in no particular order):
- Someone who is comfortable and at ease with the overall trajectory of their life, and if they're not...acknowledging that and at least attempting to follow their passions.
- Someone who is generally healthy/fit without it controlling their every move (Really...Enough w/the Netflix "Food/Nutritional" documentaries...and I say that as a lover of documentaries.)
- Someone who enjoys traveling (International travel is a plus), and makes the effort to do so.
- Someone who is working toward *their own definition* of success, both personally and professionally.
- Someone who knows when it's time to be serious, when it's time to be open to new ideas (because perhaps old ideas are no longer helpful), and when it's time to just laugh...Really LAUGH. :)
- Let me know if you are actively pursuing a life of either time or location independence, and someone who sees business as an opportunity to grow (personally + professionally).
On appearance: It certainly IS part of chemistry, but I tend to remember how someone made me feel the first time we met, rather than detailed physical attributes.
Finally, nice guys (who are confident, but not arrogant) finish first in my book.