I'm a very good listener and pay attention. I can make you laugh...in my family a sense of humor is in the genes. Not shy, not overbearing, easygoing but not easily fooled.
Online dating gurus say let your personality come through the words in your profile. Not sure that's entirely possible, but here goes:
ONLINE UPDATE: 12/6/13
Time flies when you're dazed and confused and sometimes speechless! Sometimes it has been weird, often hysterical, mostly enjoyable, but always interesting and surprising. Once, it was heartbreaking.
I've learned some important things (and this list keeps getting longer!):
1. There are no rules
2a. Nothing really happens until you meet in person
2b. You can't know everything about someone all at once. It takes time.
3. Expect little and be surprised
4. If conversation doesn't flow, nothing else is going to happen
5. An unanswered email is an answer
6. Trust your gut; if you do, it's usually worth the effort
7. ...but sometimes your gut is wrong
8. For me, never married = incompatible
9. Polyamory is bullshit. A lifestyle with its own rules and vocabulary constructed simply to justify sex outside of marriage or committed relationships is not a lifestyle, it's an invention of the never satisfied or commitment-phobic. Seriously, who really wants to be someone's "second" or "third?" My opinion only. Do what you want.
10. The more I know, the less I understand
11. The Rolling Stones were right. You can't always get what you want
12. But if you try, sometimes you get what you need
BACK TO MY PROFILE:
My two kids have launched successfully; they live and work in Manhattan and are pretty happy these days.
I used to play in a band and have a soft spot for classic rock and the blues, vintage audio equipment, and pinball machines. I think Steve Martin is sort of a genius. Mel Brooks is an actual genius. Love travel, but I dislike traveling alone.
I've always been a pretty voracious reader, from the classics to beach novels. I enjoy all sorts of movies and live music...sorry, damn, am I starting to sound like everyone else? At least I've posted no pictures of me with my car or with my shirt off or worse....
I'm looking for a woman.... with Intelligence, insight, a generosity of spirit, someone who laughs easily and has a natural ease with people. A quietly confident, independent woman for whom a good conversation is a pleasure, not a competition. A woman who takes pride in her appearance...a romantic who knows that things feel pretty much the same today as they did when we were kids.
Intimacy and physicality are essential, the air and water of romance. I get that this is more important to some than it is to others, so full disclosure...it's important to me. While I'm waiting for 'The One' to come along, it's a hell of a lot better than Netflix!
A great relationship requires, among other things, a certain kind of comfort that I can't describe, but you know it when you feel it. And you know it when you don't.