so, these are just SOME of my favorites. keep in mind that this, as
is the case with most things, is a work in progress. it may be
pared down, it may well expand to swallow the universe - one never
really knows (though i'm sure you suspect the latter is much more
likely). meantime - get up on this:
on the literary front
- johnny got his gun. i am shocked at how few people have read this
book. it's amazing. seriously. go get it. right now.
- i was really into henry miller for a while. i think i was in the
midst of a dirty old man author phase, as i began reading henry's
stuff with a healthy appetite at the same time that i was all up in
- dave eggers and other mcsweeney's stuff.
- david foster wallace. (man, that's tragic.)
- henry rollins - as a writer. and i heart his spoken word, which
is really more like a 3D essay/comedy show.
- world war z. (did you know that max is mel brooks' son?)
- carter beats the devil.
- to kill a mockingbird.
- urban dictionary.
for my listening pleasure
- in no particular order
(unless it’s subconscious), a semi-truncated list to give you a
broad picture of my music fandom so far:
- johnny cash.
- old school hip hop. (for example, whenever i hear 'get it
together,' the car (or living room or coffee shop or elsewhere)
dance is inevitable.) *a tragic side note: RIP,
why is it that we keep losing the good ones?*
- afghan whigs. (hoooollllly shit - now that i've seen greg dulli
play live, i can aver with absolutely no hesitation that one need
not be good lookin' to be just absurdly sexy.)
- cowboy junkies.
- portishead. (if you've not heard john martyn's cover of 'glory
box,' do yourself a favor and check it out. be warned, though -
it's the sexiest song ever. seriously.)
- bob mould.
- elvis - both of them.
- 'the muppet movie' soundtrack. (every time i hear kermit
strumming the banjo in the very beginning of the movie, i tear up.
seriously. and then there's the finale ... RIP, jim henson. R. I.
- hiphopopotamus & rhymenoceros.
- the man in black.
- chet baker - my god, that man had a beautiful voice.
- john coltrane - if you listen carefully, the bass line for 'a
love supreme' is all over the place. i'm quite upset that i
apparently missed the church o'coltrane (i heard it ain't around
anymore - if you know this to be false, please let me know!).
- ella & louis.
- 'alt. country' - unfortunate genre name, but there it is. i
listened to son volt almost every night while in the peace corps to
help me process the day and get to sleep and was able to thank them
once back in the states.
- mr. cash. (anyone picking up on the fact that i really &
truly love me some johnny cash? he was a big part of my childhood
soundtrack, so i've always had a soft spot for him, but ... his
version of 'hurt'? holy shit. stops me in my tracks every time i
hear it. every time. even when i think i've prepared myself.)
- the waterboys.
- john hughes movies soundtracks.
- michael jackson - before it all went so horribly wrong. we're
talking 'off the wall' (the album, not the characterization). i've
discovered that there is NO WAY to be in a bad mood when you're
listening to 'don't stop 'til you get enough’ or ‘rock with you.’
- william shatner vs joe jackson version of 'common people' -
i'm a fan of stand-up bass. and the banjo.
if i could choose to see any show ever in time, it’d be a toss up
between r.e.m. early on in a small club in athens or ella &
louis in some jazz joint.
things that make me laugh my ass off
- garfunkel and oates – these women are ridiculously funny. i’m
is a good place to start. (i promise this
is not a rickroll).
- louis ck.
- reggie watts. this
is hysterical. (you probably want to involve headphones
if you're checking it out at work. there's just a wee
- ricky gervais – in pretty much everything, but his bit about the
aids prevention postcard in his 'out of england' standup? holy
shit. i’ve watched it multiple times and i laugh so hard that i cry
- craig ferguson.
- flight of the conchords – a few songs i’m especially fond of: ‘if
you’re into it,' ‘i’m not cryin’, ’robot future.’
- david thorne - wow. i started here
was able to get through 'party in apartment 3,' but had to stop
because my stomach hurt and my tear ducts were exhausted from
laughing so hard.
i've left food & visual stuff out (can you imagine how much
longer this section would be if i didn't? the mind, it would boggle
...), but i am an avid fan of both. if you feel my favorites within
said categories are somehow crucial as to how well we'd get on, i
can send a list upon request.