Books: - Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente was an exhausting
read. She adds so much vivid imagery to every paragraph that I had
to follow the book up with several light, pulpy novels as R&R.
It was well worth it, though.
- I’m also a fan of Iain M. Banks’s sci-fi stories. I found Player
of Games to be a great critique on cultural imperialism. Actually,
most of his books cover that theme to some extent.
Movies: - Midnight in Paris, which shows you don’t have to live in
the past to enjoy it.
- The American, for proof that George Clooney doesn’t always
overact. It’s a very meditative experience.
- Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movies from the ‘60s and ’70s. Think
Spaghetti Westerns without the seriousness of Sergio Leone, except
when Sergio Leone actually directed them.
Shows: - I watch several of USA’s shows, like Suits, Psych (a great
series finale to cap the eight seasons), and Burn Notice.
- My current favorite is probably Brooklyn Nine-Nine - it has just
the right mix of office pranks and heart.
Music: - Rory Gallagher for the rocking blues
- Mark Knopfler for the tasteful solos to accompany his songwriting
- Jeff Beck for the guitar virtuosity covering quite a few
Food: - I have to try gyros at least once at every place I go to.
Mim’s Cafe’s shawarma is a frequent choice.
- Rice and vegetables are always a good combo.