// compare notes on any of the following: Scuba diving, skiing,
// designing and building things, networking in the tech/
// software space, self-improvement and cognitive hacking, etc.
I'm a curious, intrepid, generally even-keel person looking for someone to grow and learn with, someone who appreciates both epic adventures and quiet moments, and who ultimately wants to become the best human they are capable of.
// Some bullet points describing myself
- I value intelligence; not afraid of math; I like to discuss philosophy and science.
- Sensitive, generous, compassionate, but also independent.
- Rational/analytical, sometimes to a fault.
- Mostly patient, but sometimes a bit impulsive.
- Maturity and self-improvement are important to me. I'll probably always be working on this.
- I've been going to Burning Man since 2007, as a Ranger since 2009.
- Not kinky, but not bothered by kink.
- I like carbs, so if you are paleo that may be a challenge.
- Steeped in geek/sci-fi culture, but not overly so.
- Fitness and outdoors are not a big part of my life, but I do enjoy some of this.
- I do experiments sometimes. I've tried polyphasic sleep, raw foodism, and other various things when the fancy has struck me.
- I like electronic music, some classic rock, and some stuff in between. Not so into folk but I can see the appeal.
- I consider myself a futurist/transhumanist but I also appreciate old and venerable things, like proverbs, and clever ways to get things done without technology.
- I love gear. And office supplies. And the smell of books. And blinky lights. And trees. And planning things. And disregarding plans sometimes on the spur of the moment.
// What I'm looking for
The main thing I'm looking for in a partner is someone to come home to whom I love, trust, and respect. I have my own interests and I need a certain amount of alone time, and I anticipate the same of my partner. At the end of the day, though, I look forward to catching up and weaving our separate adventures into a shared vision of the future. Ultimately, I want to build a relationship that is stable, long-term, committed, flexible, and drama-free. I want my primary relationship to be a base from which both of us are supported in making awesome happen in the world.
I am not opposed to the idea of open relationships (polyamory), done responsibly, but this is not a requirement for me personally.
I am unsure if I want kids. To me having the right partnership is a prerequisite. This is something we should talk about.
I don't know if a white picket fence lifestyle is for me. Intentional communities pique my interest. Also, I think I want my ideal living space to have a shop where random projects can be pursued. For example I built my first yurt in a second floor apartment where I had to drag my table saw out onto the porch in order to use it. I'd rather have a suitable place to work. Hackerspaces are great but hauling projects to and from is not always feasible.
I like to ski and scuba dive. I like to go on trips once or twice a year. A partner who also likes those things is a nice to have.
Specific list of desired qualities in a partner:
- Smart, creative, and motivated
- Easygoing and hard to trigger
- Takes care of, and values, his health
- Likes to make things happen. Prefers to create rather than consume.
- Wants to constantly challenge and improve himself
- Likes to find new and different ways to do things. Doesn't mind being considered a bit strange.
- Has a big heart
- Atheist, agnostic, Deist, or the like
- Politically moderate (fiscal conservative + social liberal combination is a plus)
- Interest in Zen/Buddhism in general/Taoism a plus
- Open and able/willing to trust
- Values honesty and transparency
- Appreciates a bit of silly and bizarre. Groks the ultimate absurdity of human existence and wants to form a deep friendship in which to share it.