Movies: I really love almost all movies by Quentin Tarantino, Pedro Almodovar, Coen Brothers, Lars von Trier, and Pixar. Woody Allen has made many excellent movies but I'm quite convinced he's an awful person. I know Ghost World, Paris is Burning, Hedwig, and Mean Girls more or less by heart. And when I don't know what else to watch I usually default to horror.
TV: My TV Canon includes Party Down, Clone High, 30 Rock, Arrested Development, Peep Show, West Wing, Buffy, Angel, The Wire, Mad Men, Drag Race, Black Mirror.
Music: My music tastes are broad enough to alienate most everyone at some time. Coming up, some of the most important bands/artist to me were: NIN, Belle and Sebastian, Bjork, Radiohead, Pavement, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Le Tigre, Dolly Parton, Missy Elliott, Magnetic Fields, Mountain Goats, Jonathan Richman, Kanye West, Jay Z, and LCD Soundsystem. The band I'm currently least likely to skip if it comes up on shuffle is Future Islands. Lately lots of slow jams and late disco.
Food: If I had to eat one dish for the rest of my life it would probably be panang curry. I really love pasta and soup in all their forms, enough that I semi-regularly have them for breakfast.
Anyway, here are six things I practically consider friends:
1. Coffee (Something delicious that makes you feel awesome that you're allowed -- often encouraged! -- to drink at your job? It must be number one.)
2. The breeze (I think Wordsworth wrote this just for me: "Oh, there is blessing in this gentle breeze,/That blows from the green fields and from the clouds/And from the sky; it beats against my cheek,/And seems half conscious of the joy it gives.")
3. The opening minute or so of "Have You Seen Her" by The Chi-Lites (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVYxKRXDT2I -- This is sort of a stand in for cool music, or even just cool stuff, in general. And, really, the whole song is perfect, not just the beginning. But for me that opening guitar line is the definition of cool, and exciting every time I hear it. Also I don't know why songs stopped having narration.)
5. Wikipedia (I mean how else would I know about http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_among_animals?)
6. Mason jars (You can store stuff in them! You can blend stuff in them, a la http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/use-a-mason-jar-as-a-mini-blen-114977! You can use them to drink a big, refreshing glass of ice water! You can preserve stuff in them! You can put cute shit in them and use them decoratively! I mean I've never even done those last two! But they look sweet and rustic! They are tough and hard to break even if you have my goat-like fine motor skills! There is literally nothing not to love!)
1. My friends and family, because I love them;
2. Foods, because I love them;
3. Money, unfortunately;
4. Dudes, for the most part unfortunately (I'm sure you're cool, though);
6. Eve Sedgwick, specifically how she was right about most everything, how I can model her acuity and big-heartedness, and how it sucks she died (she's not exactly what I'd like to spend a first date talking about, but I do spend most of my time thinking about stuff like that, in general, so if that seems super boring or super bullshit-y, we might not be a good match!);
7. "Is 'activity partners' a sex thing?"