Write a little about yourself. Just a paragraph will do.
Who is Rob? Rob is many things! Here are some of them:
A rock climber - Indoors! Outdoors! Sport! Wannabe trad! (one day,
A cook - Multicourse dinner party? Sounds like fun! Simple
homecooked meal made from whatever veggies in my fridge need to be
used up? Probably more likely.
A traveler - Whether just up the coast or on the other side of the
globe, I love to visit new places!
A cyclist - Mostly for commuting. But I'm growing as a road
A product designer / design researcher - I make things people love
A bleeding-heart liberal - And proud of it!
What I’m doing with my life
Don’t overthink this one; tell us what you’re doing day-to-day.
I made a list. I enjoy making lists - I find it very
1. Complete a multi-day big wall climb
2. Start a business
3. Learn to play a musical instrument
4. Learn a second language (Started learning Spanish)
5. Live in a foreign country for at least 6 months
6. Donate 100,000$ to worthy charities (26k$ down!)
7. Hike the Na Pali coast in Kauai, Hawaii
8. Sail in the Mediterranean sea
9. Fall madly in love with a beautiful, interesting woman
10. Write and publish a book
11. Start a blog (or equivalent periodical) and update it regularly
for at least 6 months (in progress, sort of)
12. Prepare a 10 course meal for at least 6 friends
13. Camp for a week in the Florida keys (or another tropical
14. Create a new product that makes the world a better place
15. Live in a home I own (Done!)
16. Prepare a meal for at least 6 friends consisting entirely of
ingredients I grew/gathered/caught myself
17. Purchase and tailor a suit and pimp it out with all the
18. Brew my own beer
19. Volunteer 100 days of my time
20. Take a class that improves my creative skills
21. Write a computer program that other people use
22. Read 50 nonfiction books (in progress - maybe ⅕ of the way
23. Read 50 novels (in progress, but going slower than I’d
24. Travel abroad for at least 2 weeks by myself (Done!)
25. Take a 6 month sabbatical from working a steady job
26. Give a speech in front of at least 100 people (Done!)
27. Teach a class
28. Spend two weeks straight rock climbing
29. Taste an ultra-high-end bottle of wine
30. Sport facial hair (Done! I’m counting the sideburns.)
31. Own 4 pairs of glasses
32. Visit a 3rd world country
33. Spend time with a friend I haven't seen in several years
34. Forgive someone who's wronged me
35. Learn to help someone who's injured
36. Work for a company that produces consistently above-average
37. Obtain a deep understanding of a group of people who think or
act very differently than I do
38. Travel above the arctic circle or below the antarctic
39. Acquire a well-coordinated collection of crockery and utensils
(Done! This one was easy)
40. Complete a project that improves the area I live in
I’m really good at
Go on, brag a little (or a lot). We won’t judge.
Cooking. So long as you aren't looking for meat, anyway. I'm a
vegetarian (well, sometimes I eat fish).
Listening. Being a good listener is basically my job, and it comes
pretty naturally to me.
Thinking. I like to think, and I like to talk about the things I'm
thinking about. Hopefully with you!
Being calm. It takes a lot to get me really worked up.
The first things people usually notice about me
I’m an empty essay… fill me out!
On OkCupid? Probably that I write a lot.
Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
Help your potential matches find common interests.
Favorite books: Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance,
Siddhartha, The Lord Of The Rings, Catch-22, anything by Ursula Le
Guin, Tao Te Ching, The Better Angels of our Nature: Why Violence
Has Declined, The Signal and the Noise, The Design of Everyday
Things, The Lean Startup, The Audacity of Hope, The Guide To
Getting It On
Favorite Music: Rock. House. I like music. Let's get on with our
Favorite food: How can you have a favorite food? I love all food,
except meat (see above). It's ok if you eat meat, though, so long
as you are cool with eating my vegetarian cooking.
The six things I could never do without
Think outside the box. Sometimes the little things can say a lot.
My kitchen (including everything inside it.. ha! Fooled you, "six
things" question!), my rock climbing shoes, my bike (SO much better
than driving/parking/muni), my passport, my lovely and eccentric
friends, my foolhardy aspirations.
I spend a lot of time thinking about
Global warming, lunch, or your next vacation… it’s all fair game.
What's next. I love my life the way it is, yet I still firmly
believe that the best is yet to come.
I think a lot about people - our strengths, our frailties. What
makes us happy and why we don't always get there. I'm a big
consumer of books on psychology, personality studies, mental
disorders and other quirks of the brain, evolutionary biology, etc.
And I'm always looking for ways to apply this information to my
life - how I can work better with others, accomplish more, and
direct my energy towards more productive things.
On a more pedestrian level, I recently bought a condo and have been
thinking a lot about tasteful contemporary interior decoration. If
you have any tips for me, please do send them my way.
On a typical Friday night I am
Netflix and takeout, or getting your party on — how do you let loose?
In my world there is no such thing as a typical Fri... ah, fuck
To be honest on a typical Friday I'm probably at home making a nice
dinner, then heading to bed. The work week is exhausting!
Saturdays, on the other hand, I may be classing it up at a fancy
restaurant, swilling beer at a dive bar, or (better yet) pitching a
tent in the wilderness after a nice long day of hiking and/or rock
climbing. My life is rough, but someone's gotta live it.
The most private thing I’m willing to admit
I’m an empty essay… fill me out!
I'm actually 6' 0". Not 5' 11-and-a-half", not a tall 5'10". 6'
...or, if you're a rock climber: I'm 5' 10c"
You should message me if
Offer a few tips to help matches win you over.
I like to do things. Do you like to do things? Let's do some things
Here are some examples of things I would like to do with you:
Go bouldering at Mission Cliffs, Planet Granite, or (best of all)
in the great outdoors!
Go to an art gallery opening and spontaneously develop uninformed
opinions about fine art!
Play mini golf! (I haven't had a chance to play mini golf in
literally years.) (UPDATE - I have now had a chance to play mini
golf. But it has not lessened my desire to do so.)
Try out that awesome new restaurant that you've been meaning to get
to but could never seem to find the time.
Estoy aprendiendo Español, y necesito personas hablar con yo. Tal
Perhaps you have some other ideas? Send me a note or like my
profile and let's chat!
Who are you looking for?
This helps us know who to show you on OkCupid.