A rock climber - Indoors! Outdoors! Sport! Wannabe trad! (one day, hopefully soon)
A cook - Multicourse dinner party? Sounds like fun! Simple homecooked meal made from whatever veggies in my fridge need to be used up? Probably more likely.
A traveler - Whether just up the coast or on the other side of the globe, I love to visit new places!
A cyclist - Mostly for commuting. But I'm growing as a road cyclist.
A product designer / design researcher - I make things people love to use.
A bleeding-heart liberal - And proud of it!
I'm actually 6' 0". Not 5' 11-and-a-half", not a tall 5'10". 6' 0".
...or, if you're a rock climber: I'm 5' 10c"
1. Complete a multi-day big wall climb
2. Start a business
3. Learn to play a musical instrument
4. Learn a second language (Started learning Spanish)
5. Live in a foreign country for at least 6 months
6. Donate 100,000$ to worthy charities (26k$ down!)
7. Hike the Na Pali coast in Kauai, Hawaii
8. Sail in the Mediterranean sea
9. Fall madly in love with a beautiful, interesting woman
10. Write and publish a book
11. Start a blog (or equivalent periodical) and update it regularly for at least 6 months (in progress, sort of)
12. Prepare a 10 course meal for at least 6 friends
13. Camp for a week in the Florida keys (or another tropical location)
14. Create a new product that makes the world a better place
15. Live in a home I own (Done!)
16. Prepare a meal for at least 6 friends consisting entirely of ingredients I grew/gathered/caught myself
17. Purchase and tailor a suit and pimp it out with all the accoutrements (Done!)
18. Brew my own beer
19. Volunteer 100 days of my time
20. Take a class that improves my creative skills
21. Write a computer program that other people use
22. Read 50 nonfiction books (in progress - maybe ⅕ of the way through)
23. Read 50 novels (in progress, but going slower than I’d like)
24. Travel abroad for at least 2 weeks by myself (Done!)
25. Take a 6 month sabbatical from working a steady job
26. Give a speech in front of at least 100 people (Done!)
27. Teach a class
28. Spend two weeks straight rock climbing
29. Taste an ultra-high-end bottle of wine
30. Sport facial hair (Done! I’m counting the sideburns.)
31. Own 4 pairs of glasses
32. Visit a 3rd world country
33. Spend time with a friend I haven't seen in several years
34. Forgive someone who's wronged me
35. Learn to help someone who's injured
36. Work for a company that produces consistently above-average design work
37. Obtain a deep understanding of a group of people who think or act very differently than I do
38. Travel above the arctic circle or below the antarctic circle
39. Acquire a well-coordinated collection of crockery and utensils (Done! This one was easy)
40. Complete a project that improves the area I live in
Oh, and it's in no particular order.
Listening. Being a good listener is basically my job, and it comes pretty naturally to me.
Thinking. I like to think, and I like to talk about the things I'm thinking about. Hopefully with you!
Being calm. It takes a lot to get me really worked up.
Favorite Music: Rock. House. I like music. Let's get on with our lives.
Favorite food: How can you have a favorite food? I love all food, except meat (see above). It's ok if you eat meat, though, so long as you are cool with eating my vegetarian cooking.
I think a lot about people - our strengths, our frailties. What makes us happy and why we don't always get there. I'm a big consumer of books on psychology, personality studies, mental disorders and other quirks of the brain, evolutionary biology, etc. And I'm always looking for ways to apply this information to my life - how I can work better with others, accomplish more, and direct my energy towards more productive things.
On a more pedestrian level, I recently bought a condo and have been thinking a lot about tasteful contemporary interior decoration. If you have any tips for me, please do send them my way.
To be honest on a typical Friday I'm probably at home making a nice dinner, then heading to bed. The work week is exhausting! Saturdays, on the other hand, I may be classing it up at a fancy restaurant, swilling beer at a dive bar, or (better yet) pitching a tent in the wilderness after a nice long day of hiking and/or rock climbing. My life is rough, but someone's gotta live it.
Here are some examples of things I would like to do with you:
Go bouldering at Mission Cliffs, Planet Granite, or (best of all) in the great outdoors!
Go to an art gallery opening and spontaneously develop uninformed opinions about fine art!
Play mini golf! (I haven't had a chance to play mini golf in literally years.) (UPDATE - I have now had a chance to play mini golf. But it has not lessened my desire to do so.)
Try out that awesome new restaurant that you've been meaning to get to but could never seem to find the time.
Estoy aprendiendo Español, y necesito personas hablar con yo. Tal vez tú?
Perhaps you have some other ideas? Send me a note or like my profile and let's chat!