Somewhat reserved, love building relationships with people. Also love hanging out and having fun. Would rather sit at a restaurant, watch a film, or go to a concert than sky-dive or go clubbing.
Some paradoxes.. an artist's temperament, but reliably calm and self-collected. Confident but self-effacing. Searching for beauty while doing an MBA. (I'll let you know how that works out.)
opening bottles of wine
finding good restaurants
Films: Moonrise Kingdom, Baraka, Match Point, Inception, Ronin, Lost in Translation
TV old school: Buffy, Six Feet Under, Frasier
TV recent: Hit and Miss, Game of Thrones, Hell on Wheels, The Borgias, Walking Dead
Books: Bottom Billion, Omnivore's Dilemma and everything else Pollan, Slow Food Nation, Malcolm Gladwell stuff, Michael Porter stuff
New York Times; New Yorker; Economist; Saveur
Music: New: Crystal Castles, Biosphere, Goldfrapp, Grizzly Bear, Massive Attack
Old: Byrd, Bach, Handel, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Franck, Mahler, Britten, Berg, Schoenberg, Pärt, Reich
Food: selective omnivore.
Very picky about: sushi, Mexican, brunch
Pretty slutty about: French, Italian, pizza
Totally excited by: good produce; stinky cheese; micro-brews; burgers ground in-house; decent pub food; pie.
Actually eat most days: yogurt, protein, veggies, nuts
- great music: listening, obsessing; learning, playing; proselytizing
- good coffee: Chemex at home; espresso out
- a career that means something to me
- my cat
- occasionally experiencing a sense of wonder ( that singular experience of hearing a piece for the first time, or hearing something new in a familiar work; or Georgian Bay on a sunny day; or holding a baby that's just entered a world full of love )
Why people wear so much perfume to concerts. Why the tax code is so screwed up. Why people are still running Windows XP.
Music: Bach is nearly always running something in my head (keyboard suites, cantatas, string works). Really into Britten for the last little while; fixated on the Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues for a time. When I was at Oberlin, I listened to nothing but the Gould recording of the 2- and 3-part inventions for like 2 months. (If you find this is starting to sound unhealthy, you're probably right.)
Why no one acknowledges public goods any more. Why people vote against their self-interest. Why there aren't more gardens, chickens and compost.
Food/wine pairings. Spain-Italy-France? Or London-Stockholm-Berlin?
- on a patio having dinner with friends
- cooking and entertaining at home
- at a café doing homework
- going on an unnecessarily long bike ride
- staring at my computer coming up with arcane procedures to organize my life
- finding beauty somewhere unexpected
.. you're willing to forget about expectations
.. you have a good CD collection (well - you know - 'music' collection)
.. you're passionate about life, food, art, music, sex, public policy, and/or stemware.