A dancer (since age 4)
A bit of a nerd
30 things about me:
1. I like all fruits except pears.
2. I won three Aggregate trophies and many metals for Scottish Highland Dancing during high school. I can still fit into my kilt.
3. In elementary, middle school and high school, I was always the shortest kid in the class.
4. I started dancing at age four, and haven't stopped yet.
5. I have been on TV 10 times and in one movie.
6. In Austria, I was almost kidnapped by a Krampas.
7. I made a mother elephant angry when I drove too close to her baby in Addo Elephant Park, South Africa. She threatened to attack the car. I backed up.
8. Being a Mom is better than I expected.
9. Sleeping children are beautiful...and quiet.
10. In college, my dorm room had a view of the ocean and I fell asleep to the sound of the waves every night.
11. I love vintage musicals. I could watch Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly , Leslie Caron, Cyd Charisse, Donald O'Connor (and more) dance all day.
12. Laughter IS the best medicine.
13. My children are fluent in French, but I will probably never learn to speak it. I hope I can learn to understand it better. Recently, my daughter said to me: "Mom, don't worry, I'm going to speak to my sister in French." I'm worried.
14. I am a visual learner. I have a photographic memory.
15. Creativity is a valuable asset.
16. I stood on the equator in Ecuador; one foot on either side.
17. In high school, I saw the original play "The Rocky Horror Show" at the Roxy Theatre on Sunset in LA. Tim Curry played the lead role.
18. I became an audiologist by accident. I switched my major from Pre-med to Speech and Hearing Science so I could move away from home for college. I transferred from UCLA to UCSB. After my first S&H class, I loved it, so kept the major permanently.
19. I experienced severe culture shock when I went to Graduate School in Knoxville Tennessee. They thought I was a hippy freak from California. I had waist length hair and hairy legs. Knoxville was the mecca for preppy pink and green clothed co-eds. I stuck out like a sore thumb.
20. My second year of grad school I met a guy from California who introduced me to contra dance (Thanks, David!) . I fit in there.
21. A few years ago, I shocked my parents by thanking them for how they raised me and told them they were right.
22. I had my 15 minutes of fame when I was featured on a CNN special on Sleep hosted by Sanjay Gupta. They wanted a sleep disturbed working mother.
23. My children, on the other hand, sleep like the dead.
24. I cut 10" of my hair to donate for wigs for woman with cancer. This is my third time.
25. I have worked on the original FDA clinical for all three cochlear implant companies. And I am one of the few audiologist left who worked with the 3M House single channel device. Obviously, I've been in the field too long.
26. Being a parent humbled me.
27. I went fishing for Piranha in the Pantinal, Brazil. We ate them for dinner.
28. I spent three days in the Amazon rainforest learning about the flora and fauna of the region; leaf cutter ants, howler monkeys, fluorescent colored butterflies.
29. I am shy.
30. I'm still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions...