If you are looking at this, it is because you are curious about who checked out your profile (I admit a little unhealthy curiosity about who okcupid picks for me and drops in my email).
Just in case you suffer the same ailment, 10 things about me...
(1) I finished my doctorate at Berkeley two years ago. I work for a economic research institute of the University of Munich most of the time (I live about half time in the US and half time in Germany), which means I spend most of my days writing academic articles and solving math problems, though I make about half my living off accumulated investments. I have been a full-time university lecturer, a venture capitalist, an entrepreneur and engineer.
(2) Although I am all left brain, I find artists, my wife included, very attractive. I have tremendous respect and fascination for people who do things I cannot.
(3) People describe me as insensitive and intense in both positive and negative ways.
Insensitive: I poorly perceive others' feelings, but nothing rattles me either -- I was born for crises and competition.
Intense: No friend complains of boredom, but some partners, whether we share a bedroom or a boardroom, express occasional exhaustion.
Two favorite quotes from my Berkeley students' evaluations:
"Extremely smart and well-prepared; could be a little more human though." "A vicious thinker, but also just a bit vicious."
Despite my hard edges, I am a generous softy when you tell me what you need (or I slowly figure it out).
(4) I am not on the market, so I won't post a picture, but more than a few friends think I look like a younger Kiefer Sutherland. I am blonde with high cheek bones and broad shoulders, but friends also indicate my resemblance to the protagonist of 24 is not merely physical. Furthermore, there is enough information in here to Google me for a recent press photo--if you are that curious there is no stopping you.
(5) I have made and lost several small fortunes and don't expect the trend to change. I love capitalism, but abhor consumerism. Money is just power to get good things done in this world; I don't really like stuff.
(6) Although I live in the city (an academic's curse), I am always most comfortable in the rural mountains (it's where I grew up).
(7) I have worked in 6 different countries in Europe, the Far East and the Middle East in assignments lasting several months to over a year. I vacation in dozens of lands.
(8) Like many, I like to travel, but more fundamentally, I love new experiences from new foods and new places, to new knowledge and skills to new sensations and thrills (a strong sense of loyalty to and love for my wife keeps me out of trouble).
(9) I have strong political views, but they do not align with any parties'. Forced to choose I identify as a moderate libertarian, but not because I believe in the sacredness of individual rights, but because I believe that people left alone generally do what is best for themselves (and those close to them). Occasionally, the government needs to coordinate us, but the justifications for that are far rarer than the present state of the world would make them appear.
(10) When I recreate, there is nothing I would rather do than enjoy challenging conversation with friends, family (and sometimes an adult beverage). If that comes at the end of a 30 mile hike in the mountains, it's even better.