Their result for The Short Astrophysics Test ...
You scored 38% on cosmology questions, and 29% on planetary and stellar science questions.
Don't be too ashamed if you got a low score, it was hard! If you got below 25% try guessing randomly next time.
Those who did well (above 50% is good) can pat themselves on the back, and perhaps consider a PhD in astrophysics!
- In which constellation is the Andromeda Galaxy?
- Ursa Major
- Which object is the least massive?
- NGC 5194 (NGC/IC objects are usually galaxies)
- 1992 QB1 (objects beginning with the year of discovery are asteroids)
- HD 209458 (the Henry Draper catalog lists stars)
- Cygnus X-1 (the black hole at the centre of our galaxy)
- Which object is the most massive?
- Callisto (moon of Jupiter)
- Charon (companion to Pluto)
- Ceres (largest asteroid in the Main Belt)
- What diameter is the visible portion of the Milky Way?
- 100 light years
- 1,000 light years
- 10,000 light years
- 100,000 light years
- What is The Great Wall?
- A surface feature on Mars
- A surface feature on Titan
- A galaxy cluster
- A solar prominance
- How old is a globular cluster?
- As old as the Earth (about 5 billion years)
- As old as the Sun (about 5.5 billion years)
- As old as the Galaxy (about 11 billion years)
- As old as the Universe (about 13.7 billion years)
- What is interesting about the Jovian moons Io, Europa and Ganymede?
- They have interlocked orbital periods
- Their orbits are highly elliptical
- They are all volcanic
- What distance is used in the definition of absolute magnitude?
- 1 light year
- 1 astronomical unit
- 10 light years
- 10 parsecs
- What is the average length of one complete solar sunspot cycle?
- 30 days (this is the solar rotational period)
- 11 years (this is the period it takes for the poles to flip once)
- 22 years (this is the period it takes for the poles to flip and flip back again)
- 33 years
- What's the value of the Hubble constant, which is used to calculate the rate of expansion of the universe?
- ~70 (the Hubble constant lies somewhere between 50 and 100, about 70 is a fair estimate)
- 206.44 (this is a number I plucked out of the air)
- 3 Ã 108 (this is the speed of light in a vacuum)
- What is the correct order of spectral classes for stars?
- O B A F G K M
- A O B K G F M
- B A O F K G M
- A B O K F G M
- What value has the Chandrasekhar limit?
- 1400 Megaparsecs
- 1.4 solar masses
- 14 kilohertz
- 140 Ã ngstroms
- What does the following equation represent?
M = (3Ï5Ã·32)Â½ c3 Gâ3/2 ÏâÂ½
Where c is the internal speed of sound, and Ï is the density.
- Jeans mass for a collapsing gas cloud
- Equation of a propogating shock front
- Planck curve for black body radiation
- Limit beyond which a stellar core will collapse
- Where are the Aten-family asteroids located?
- At Jupiter's Lagrange 4 point (Trojan asteroids)
- At Jupiter's Lagrange 5 point (also Trojan asteroids)
- Beyond the orbit of Neptune (Kuyper Belt and Oort Cloud objects)
- Inside the orbit of Earth
- Stars on the Hayashi track of the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram are:
- Pre-main sequence stars
- Evolved main sequence stars
- Sub-giant stars with low relative luminosities
- Stars with planetary nebulae
Their Analysis (Vertical line = Average)
They scored 38% on cosmology, higher than 47% of your peers.
They scored 29% on planetary sci, higher than 37% of your peers.
More tests we think you'll like
Taken 5496 times.
Hi! I'm in hopes of finding the right one for me on here, so this test, taken by you right now will tell me whether I should contact you or not.
Taken 4925 times.
What?! You want to take this? Are you nuts? I'm Damadar, and this test is labeled: WHAT?! as in... WHAT?! YOU WANT TO TAKE THIS? ARE YOU NUTS?! Did...
Taken 34143 times.
Taken 6729 times.
Some people like to get a sweat on... Some don't. Which are you?
Taken 2751 times.
Taken 587 times.
Hi! And welcome to my SANRIO/HELLO KITTY KNOWLEDGE Test. I'll be using advanced logic and knowledge to determine how well you know your Sanrio charac...
Taken 847 times.
Find out witch of Divergent faction you belong.
Taken 35571 times.
Hi! And welcome to my dumbest Test. I'll be using no logic and little knowledge to determine something.
Taken 19607 times.
Find out which Doors song comes closest to describing the real you
Taken 5827 times.
Ok, so you think yor're a geek huh? Or maybe you're trying to prove to yourself you aren't a geek....(honestly, who ARE you kidding?)....Anyway, This ...
Connect your existing OkCupid account
Restore your account to continue
meeting new people.
Reset your password
We’ll email you a link to reset it.
An email is on its way to .
If you don’t see it, try checking
your Spam folder.