I am lucky enough to be able to say that I don't have a best friend. What I do have is a group of best friends people who are more like family than mere friends. I have just gotten back after attending one of their weddings in Barcelona. It was an amazing celebration. My friend has found somebody that suits him perfectly, and she has become a member of our close knit group.
At the wedding, I was talking to my other friend's fiance and the topic of my singledom came up. She actually said some things that were quite enlightening. So much so that I am writing about it here and including some of her comments.
1. Why am I single? I'm single because I would rather be on my own than with the wrong person. What do you do if the right person comes along and you're with the wrong one?
2. I don't have kids, skeletons of any kind in the closet. I have had my heart broken a few times, but the pieces all went back together pretty well, so no baggage there either. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want children until I'm married.
3. Yes that is my actual age and that is what I look like now in 2015. No greys and no wrinkles for me thanks.
4. No I'm not a 'player' I'm too old for that BS. To be honest, I think that there are more female players than male ones. I know a few women like to waste a guy's time, 'casually dating' multiple guys purely to collect gifts and be taken to expensive restaurants. If this is you please move on, do not pass go, do not collect $100.
5. I should be less picky. This is the one I don't agree with. When my Dad was alive, he told me that the only time in life when you can be selfish is when you are choosing somebody to share it with. I'm not looking for perfect, just perfect for me. I won't be compromising on that front. A relationship's not all about the looks, but it's important for my partner to have that x factor that makes me crazy for them. I think it's important to be able to spend time apart together. I'll take one bit of the newspaper, you take another and we can while away a day doing our own thing together.
It's really important to me to be successful. You can't beat the buzz of a busy day at work. Something I'm particularly good at would probably have to be technical stuff. What can I say, I'm good with my hands and have quite a logical mind. Tinkering with anything that's a bit technical is always a treat. As for my long term vision - it's hard to say for sure - but I like the idea of a modern villa somewhere hot with its own private pool. Think Tony Stark's (Iron Man) cliff top house, but located in the Tamarind Hills, Antigua; beats California hands down any day of the week :D
What kind of person am I looking for? Well, aside from the characteristics described in my header, you would have to be relaxed, be yourself and be happy with who you are. I believe that it's impossible to be happy with somebody else if you aren't happy in your own skin first. In my humble opinion, there is nothing in this world sexier than a classy, intelligent, hardworking woman who knows her own mind. To me, this is far more important than financial status, ethnic background, nationality or any other taxonomy that people choose to define themselves. If you have an adventurous streak and aren't too much of a girly girl that is also a plus. Somebody who would be up for adventure sports and can keep up with me would be really cool. All being said, it almost goes without saying, I have no interest in drama or ghetto/chav mentality. If that's you, DON'T message me. Do I ask for too much? Maybe, but if you aim for the stars and hit the Moon, that's still out of this world, so that's not a bad thing :)
Well that was long. Well done and thanks if you made it to the end. Message me if you think we might click.
Addendum: I also have no interest in having sex with anybody's wife especially if the Mr wants to watch. Seriously? What happens to people when they log on to the internet?
I have also been dabbling in property development, and wouldn't mind spending more time doing that. I could see myself switching careers in the next couple of years.
Outside of work I have a small but very close group of friends that I like to spend time with. I go the gym 3 to 4 times a week. I have recently taken up salsa dancing, which is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. I also write music. I play keyboard and I am learning to play bass guitar. I also like to cook too. I'm not bad in the kitchen, but I have been looking for classes to learn how to cook like a master.
I also like to cycle. I have three bikes at the moment; two mountain bikes, one downhill and one XC. I also just purchased a beautiful custom built Dolan road bike. It's a total boys toy, carbon fiber and exotic metals, light as a feather, WICKED FAST and more expensive than my first and second cars combined, but worth every penny. What's the point in working so hard if you're not going to treat yourself from time to time :)
I am the absolute personification of a technophile. I get through most of my reading as audio books whilst I'm out riding my bike. I like Richard Matheson, Frank Herbert, George R.R. Martin to name a few. I read a lot of news feeds from all over the world too. I like to know what's really going on.
I like film a lot. I have thousands of movies in my collection; everything from 12 Angry Men to Iron Man and a host of documentaries in between. I'm a typical guy and a bit of a big kid when it comes to movies. Give me a spaceship, a car chase, a pretty girl and/or an epic battle scene and I'm happy. However, I am partial to the odd rom-com as well.
I haven't been to a show in a while. I'm not really into plays and such. I find things like Stomp or the Shaolin Monks more appealing. Nina Conti is sooo funny live I almost suffocated with laughter.
I listen to lots of music. My iTunes (which I hardly use anymore because Spotify is so awesome) has everything from old skool funk to dark brooding house. Most of the time I like to keep it cool, smooth and jazzy. I love my music and have even been know to write the odd song or two. Below is a URL to a playlist some of my favorite music. Enjoy.
A Spotify playlist of some of my favorite music
I LOVE my food. it has to be good, and there has to be lots of it. I will literally try anything once (so long as it's not moving). I love food from all over the World and I am lucky enough to have friends that are like a United Nations delegation to introduce me to new things. I do have a soft spot for southern Caribbean/South American food; it's in my middle and I like to fill it as regularly as possible. My late Father was outstanding in the kitchen. I would actually go as far as to say that he was better than my Mum; if you tell her that I said that, I will strongly deny it :P, so let's keep that between us. After all, she does do a mean Oxtail stew.
1. My good health which makes enjoying life easier. I am grateful for it. My mum's career was in paediatrics. It breaks my heart how some people suffer in their lives.
2. I have absolutely brilliant family and friends. They don't count as things, but I'm listing them anyway. I know that I could ask anything of any of them, and they of me. I honestly feel blessed to a part of the network I revolve in.
3. Music, both playing and listening. I only wish I was a better singer. But which artists are ever completely happy with their works.
4. Having my own home; even though it's a literal building site, it beats sharing and renting. If I feel like turning up the heating, stripping naked, pulling a rubber glove over my head, running around clucking like a chicken, I can :)
5. The little button on my remote that lets me pause live TV.
6. Haribo Strawbs and cherry jellies in Tangfastics.
Actually, you can dump the last three. I dont need anything beyond number three.
Actually, in all seriousness, what I have been thinking about is taking some time out to travel and see the planet that I live on. I've been thinking of going next summer. I'm currently getting my ducks in a row and saving up some cash to do it.
When my father was young, he travelled to every continent except Antarctica. I want to beat his record if i can. I want to see the penguins
I am sexually aroused by microwave ovens. Especially the old-fashioned manual one's. I have a particular thing for Argos' own brand models. The ones that are too small to put anything inside, and too underpowered to heat anything. I love that they actually take longer than even a conventional oven to heat food. They make me hot with anticipation!! I like to put them into defrost mode and slowly switch them up to maximum wattage until there little bells go PING!!!! OOOOoooh microwaves. They're so HOT!!
We'll probably get along if you're intelligent, ambitious, sane and not a scam artist trying it on.
Even though I have said it before intelligence is crucial. By intelligent I don't necessarily mean that you have to be academically gifted either. Some of the smartest, most successful people I know do not have formal educations, and the converse is also true. Even though I would consider myself a nice guy, I have very little patience for vacuous, obtuse trophy types.
You have to look after yourself. To me this does not just equate to a hairdo, makeup and clothes. But to physical well being also. I make the effort to maintain a good level of health and fitness. I would like to meet some somebody with a similar mindset.
I think that I should apologise in advance if it takes me a little while to reply to your message. I do have an offline life too. Sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day.
Brownie points if you can help me to learn French and/or Spanish. It's really hard trying to learn on my own. :)