My best friend gets a bang out of speculating what sort of girl I could end up with. She's of the opinion that I'll have to give up my superficiality (probably sage advice, but easier said than done), since the chances of someone finding me really attractive once they got to know me, and being highly attractive themselves, are pretty slim.
It's not that I'm unlikeable or think I'm unlikeable – plenty of girls seem to find me appealing and I’ve had a reasonable number of relationships and flings and whatnot, which have generally gone alright – I'm just unsure how to articulate what endears me to the people who like me. They seem to find me very interesting to talk to, but if you ask me what I did on any given day, I’ll rarely have an interesting answer.
I think some people in my life appreciate that I keep them guessing. Maybe they stick around out of morbid curiosity to see what will become of me.
Oh, and while I’m probably stranger than most people you meet, I’m way more normal than I’m making myself seem here.
But, as you've no doubt gathered, I'm sort of dark and inscrutable and standoffish, and that comes across too. If I'm attracted to someone I'm meeting, then I usually get shy (which is often interpreted as disinterest.) If I'm not attracted, they can usually sense my disinterest and I may seem cold and rude.
I change my hair and facial hair a lot too, and it makes me look surprisingly different. I'm like the Madonna of unaccomplished straight males in their early thirties.
Movies: Silence of the Lambs, porn, The World According to Garp. Short Cuts, Boogie Nights, Bully, Kids
Shows: Louie, My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic, Glee, The Daily Show, Family Guy, In Treatment, Game of Thrones, Little House on the Prairie
Music: It pains me to hear people say they listen to everything – you don't. Nobody does, and this response gives no insight into your listening habits. Why do people care about having "eclectic" tastes? Here, I'll pigeon-hole myself: I like up-tempo, pop-y songs that are harmonically interesting, well crafted, and feature catchy melodies and good singing. Lists of bands are boring and self-indulgent. Here's mine: Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Julie Andrews, myself, Metro, Silversun Pickups, and many more.
Food: I appreciate great food, but I'm not usually that picky. I don't like to cook. It's cool if you do, but don't expect me to. I can do it -- It's not rocket science -- it just doesn't interest me. I'm a little worried that all the girls who list cooking as a passion (there are TONS of you) would expect me to join in or reciprocate. I mostly eat T.V. dinners and throw some extra vegetables on them. I also eat a lot of nuts and fruit and cereal -- simple, healthy, bachelor-y stuff.
But who can blame you? You can't win by admitting something really gutsy, because that will probably make you seem flighty.
I'll admit I find it incredibly disappointing how many girls on here find astrology "fun to think about." I think it's utterly stupid. It's no better than palm reading or any other superstitious crap. Seriously, girls?
And I'm kind of neutral on traveling. It's okay, but I couldn't call it a passion.
So that's cooking, traveling, and astrology. I've got other pet peeves, but based on the profiles I've seen, those three alone should weed out 95% of you. I could probably weed out the remaining 5% by sharing my opinions on tattoos.