I've got a bit more of life under my belt than when I first made my profile on here at 20! Since then I graduated with my BA in Communication, moved to California, tried to do film and ended up in tech, started my own freelance technical writing business, and moved back to the east coast. Now I live in a cute beach town in New Jersey.
What I'm doing with my life right now: I'm a technical writer at a web hosting company. It's a good career and fairly interesting. I'm becoming quite the Linux geek. I'm also excited to be back on the east coast and near so many friends and family members. Most weekends you can find me doing something awesome with my excellent friends, or enjoying a quiet weekend at home with my books, video games, and crafts.
What's next: I want to get a second bachelor's degree in computer science and then go to grad school for natural language processing.
Someday in the future: I want to be friends with an AI and live on Mars.
I recently got convinced (it didn't take that much convincing) to join a LARP group with my friends. I am totally hooked - it's camping, acting, and D&D all in one, all things I love. LARPing, seeing friends and family, getting exercise, and running my freelance business are keeping me pretty busy for now, but if I was going to adopt a new hobby, I might want to get into something like 3D printing or swing dancing.
In my free time, I like to read, play video games and board games, go to the gym, walk along the boardwalk in Ventnor City, and read tech news on the internet.
I'm very smart and rather ambitious and confident. I'm always getting better at social skills, although I am a bit of an introvert and need some time to myself periodically.
I spend a lot of time thinking about how the universe really works. I'm a pretty serious armchair philosopher - I recently read Godel, Escher, Bach, and now I'm tackling Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. I really try to think everything through logically before deciding on the best way to live, and I am willing to change my beliefs and actions if I become convinced of a new way of thinking. That being said, I have been a Christian for a very long time, and that is very important to me.
I want to make the world a better place and have fun while doing it.
I'm also really good at bringing a lot of enthusiasm and enjoyment to my life. If something isn't fun, I'll find a way to change that!
I'm a really good writer and editor. I'm really good at figuring out complex technical things and then explaining them to people.
I'm pretty crafty. I can sew things, make jewelry, draw, sing, etc.
I'm good at having awesome friendships with awesome people. For someone who grew up being very shy, I've really become quite outgoing. I try to treat the people around me with regard and respect and support.
I'm good at turning everything into a theory. If you're familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality test, my N (intuitive, theoretical thinking) is pretty ridiculous. That's why I like philosophy so much. (INTJ)
I'm short, and I wear brightly colored clothes and glasses.
I'm neither thin nor fat. I recently started going to the gym and jogging, so I'm getting more muscle definition. I'm pretty darn strong. I have excellent balance and wonderful low-light vision.
I've also been told that I'm sexy and/or cute, so if you're into me, you'll probably notice that, too.
I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, some mysteries, a decent amount of philosophy and theology, and anything else that catches my interest. I read a lot of tech news sites online, too. I try to keep up with all the news about space exploration, AI, and nanotech!
Movies: There are two movies that I can watch when I'm in any mood: The Princess Bride, and Stardust. I like action-adventure romps like Indiana Jones and The Mummy. I was also a film student, so occasionally I like to watch serious, artsy films. Some recent favorites: The Avengers, The Hobbit, Cloud Atlas, The Artist, Interview with the Vampire (I know it's not new, but I just saw it recently).
Shows: My all-time favorite TV shows are Firefly and Battlestar Galactica. I didn't grow up with TV, so I don't know a lot of the shows you probably grew up with. I did catch up with Buffy, though, and loved that. The Wire was really good. I've gotten into Stargate and want to finish that. Lately I've been into Community and Alphas.
Music: I like classical, techno, Irish folk music, and soundtracks. Mix in a little indie electronica, New Age, pop, rock, and instrumental metal, and you've got my favorite mix. I generally like upbeat music you can dance to. I like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Cascada, Basshunter, Empty Hats, John Williams, and Danny Elfman. Oh, and I absolutely adore Christmas music, particularly Mannheim Steamroller. I will play it for months before Christmas. (I do not like sappy vocals, though - mostly instrumental stuff.)
Food: Oh goodness. It would be easier to list what I don't like to eat. Hot dogs. Not a huge fan of hot dogs. I love Thai, Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Nicaraguan, Southern, Mediterranean, Korean, Italian, Ethiopian, Danish, Irish, Indian, and American food. I will try anything as long as it's not looking at me and/or currently wiggling. I love meat, vegetables, fruits, sweets, fish, and drinks.
2. My college friends. Five years after graduating, they're still the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm so happy to be in driving distance of most of them again!
3. Books. I grew up on books. I formed most of my ideas by reading. I am inspired, entertained, and educated by books.
4. Hope that we really can make the world a better place, that our efforts are not in vain.
5. The opportunity to express myself creatively.
6. Places to explore.
How people actually work. How to make other people feel good just because they know me.
How to change this world for the better and how to be a better person.
The nature and existence of God and the purpose of humanity.
Space exploration, AI, and nanotech.
My LARP character and costume.
On a sillier note: I'm really into Loki fanfiction.
If you want to date me, look at the list and see how well you match up. I'd be interested to hear from people who don't match everything, but I'm just letting you know that I've put a lot of thought into these items.
1. You're a Christian, but most Christians think you're too questioning of dogma and too accepting of other people.
2. You know how to get things done. Seems silly, I know, but so many people are incompetent at the basic things of life...
3. You like a rational girl. You want to be friends even more than you want to be lovers. Respect and affection go hand-in-hand.
4. You want to have a great sex life. I have a somewhat kinky imagination, but I also grew up very conservative, and I'm not totally done dealing with all that stuff. You're willing to talk about things and be very considerate and deliberate.
5. You think about life, the universe, and everything. You enjoy philosophy and the discussions thereof.
6. You're a feminist. You're closer to the liberal side of politics.
7. You are neat, and keeping your house in order and your grooming up to scratch and your bills paid is something you do for yourself and not me. You are willing to shoulder life's responsibilities whole-heartedly and neither ignore them nor dump them on me.
8. You are good at relationships and emotionally mature. You are gracious to my friends and relatives. You keep my needs in mind as I keep yours in mind. You want this to work for "us," not just you. You know when to offer a shoulder to cry on, and when to politely suggest that I get over myself. You are willing to take suggestions and critique on things that aren't working for me.
9. You are generous.
10. You know when to blend in to society and when to be weird and wonderful. You like the fact that I climb trees, play a dragon cleric at a LARP, and become noticeably enthusiastic about life.
11. You like geeky, artsy, and sciency stuff. You like to play games and want to move to Mars someday.