My current life in three thought bubbles:
1. Grad school
Other fun, important elements:
- Intersectional Feminist
- Practical Idealist
- Preferred Love languages: "Words of Affirmation" and "Quality Time".
I am a talkative, energetic, skeptical, patient, and tactfully emotive individual, seeking meaning, peace, knowledge, and progress for and in this world. I love teaching and explaining things, and I also derive great joy in simply listening to others, while giving advice when requested or tactful.
Lastly, I'm on a (non-religious) mission to accomplish a lot of things. Are you, too? :)
1. I'm presently an educational psychology PhD student, focusing on statistics education! My background is much broader than that, though :)
2. I started improv a few years ago and have had the great fortune to perform and now teach it! I hope to keep teaching improv and eventually perform again as I finish up and move on from grad school.
3. I love to run (sprint, in particular) and play numerous sports, in general. Go track & field! I'm also ready to play volleyball, softball, or racquetball, among others at any time, haha.
4. When time allows I return to one of the 8-12 books I started within the past two years. (So much great stuff to learn!)
5. I'm energized to continue and increase my volunteering and social activism efforts.
2. Listening to others' concerns
4. Thoughtful dialogue
5. Seeing all sides of an issue
6. Cleaning anything
7. Diagnosing problems
8. Quirky humor
9. The written word
10. Somehow getting into long, friendly conversations with cashiers and baristas (yep, I'm THAT person -- the one holding up the line, because I can't stop chatting)
Make what you want of this: based on my friends' interpretations, I'm Chris Traeger from Parks & Rec crossed with Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.
Movies: I appreciate non-cheesy science fiction, spy/political suspense/international intrigue, and not crappy comedy films. My favorite serious and comedic films are “Run Lola Run” and “Mean Girls”, respectively. As a highly sensitive person, I can't/don't do horror films.
Shows: I’m not hugely into television, but I have my favorites. E.g., The Office, Sherlock (BBC version), Frontline, The Daily Show, & Star Trek Voyager.
Music: My tastes are fairly specific, though they span a few genres. I seek energy, emotional depth, meaning, or ideally all three from music. I absolutely love hard rock and electronica/electronic rock. At present, my two favorite bands are Ladytron and Sevendust.
Food: My focus with food is health! I think I eat nuts and super dark chocolate the most. Being born and growing up in Wisconsin and having dairy farmers in my family history, I'm all about dairy -- bring on the cheese, yogurt, and ice cream!
2. Daily laughter
4. Meaningful and/or intense music
5. Balance between quiet thoughtfulness and noisy boisterousness
6. Energized ambition
1. Creating a peaceful and happy society (and ecosystem)
2. Human equality
3. Various life philosophies
4. Ethical and social aspects of science/technology/business
6. Interconnectedness and complexity
7. Health research & communication
+ enjoy engaging in both silly and serious conversations;
+ enjoy a good social gathering, happy hour, etc.;
+ enjoy looking for both humor and meaning in daily life;
+ are conscientious about health and wellness;
+ have neat goals;
Importantly: denial of independent friendships or denial of friendships with a specific gender outside of the romantic relationship is not cool.
I love my friends and I always will, and they span both the gender and sexual-orientation spectrum. You should love your friends too. A relationship shouldn't change that.
Thanks for reading all of this, if you did! :)