I have what a lot of people call a dry, random sense of humor and love to entertain people when I get a chance (and love it even more when they don't throw things afterward).
If you're curious about the kind of stuff I toss out into the world, I've got some articles and general ramblings on my web site http://jimyesthatjim.com. And also to that end, here's a video of me acting silly in public: Jim at Open Mic Night.
Why am I so open with my media? To make sure you've got full disclosure; the last thing I want to do is give you a false impression or an unfortunate surprise if we meet. I have no intention of apologizing for being myself - I got over that phase ages ago! So, hopefully these things will help give you a better idea of what manner of beast you might be dealing with here. :)
Back during the dawn of civilization when OKCupid was still young, we had to come up with three adjectives to describe ourselves, and the ones I chose were: thoughtful, strange, and humorous. It is my fervent hope that all three are still accurate.
To make ends meet, I work with some wonderful folks at a data storage company that has a refreshingly easygoing atmosphere.
I spend a lot of my free time staring at a blank screen and trying not to get distracted from the process of willing words to appear on it. The distraction seems to happen nevertheless, so I figured it would be a good idea to maintain an account here and at least have something GOOD to be distracted by.
People tell me I'm pretty good at putting words together on paper. In person, it can be a different story. Some days I'm Oscar Wilde, other days I'm lucky if I can spell my own name.
(Books) The Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams, the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, the New, Long and Short Sun series by Gene Wolfe; also I've more recently been getting into Neil Gaiman and Jim Butcher.
(Movies) The Star Wars films (warts and all), the Lord of the Rings films, the Monty Python films, Hot Fuzz, The Third Man, Snatch, Dark City, The Maltese Falcon
(Shows - I'm assuming by this they mean TV shows, though I'll admit I'm partial to Harold Pinter, Tom Stoppard and David Ives - extra points if you know who those guys are; ANYWAY, right, TV shows...) Doctor Who (both versions), The various Marvel Netflix shows, Deadwood, The Twilight Zone and the various Star Treks
(Music) They Might Be Giants, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Shostakovich, David Bowie, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Tom Waits, Orbital, Johnny Cash, Postmodern Jukebox
(Food) I was attacked by vegetables as a child, so anything that's not green, slimy or liquidy-yet-crunchy is usually fine. Also, if the opportunity arises I can make an awesome fettuccine alfredo.
1) Sleep -- you're supposed to spend a third of your life asleep and damn it, I want my third!
2) Caffeine -- hey, you've got to wake up some time.
3) My friends -- sometimes there's nothing better in the world than having someone there to support you and I'm very grateful to have those people
4) Some kind of income -- I despise the idea of dragging anyone down, least of all myself.
5) My computer (yess... preciouss...) -- while I probably COULD get along without it if I had to, it's the best way to organize my thoughts right now.
6) Whatever wisps of my sanity currently remain -- I've got to hold onto SOMETHING, after all!
Wait... what was the question again?
* I like people who are geeks - especially those who enjoy things like tabletop gaming, sci-fi and fantasy.
* I also like people who are expressive, in particular those who are into acting or theatre - or who have the same level of awesome controlled crazy that most theatrefolk do. I seem to do well with extroverts.
These are by no means requirements, but if you happen to fit into one of those two categories, we'll get along well. If you happen to fit into both of them, we'll get along famously.