- Reading books by flashlight in a tent in the woods
- Weekend D&D and/or board games
- Disneyland / Harry Potter Land
- Snapping photos of superheroes and video game legends at Comic Con/Wondercon/etc.
- Watching and cheering on rocket launches (live or streamed)
- Embarking on international trips on shockingly short notice
- Waiting for Critical Role on Thursday nights
These are some of the things I like to do. Hopefully at least some of these pique your interest as well
Forgive my extreme excitement, but I'm still deep in (and hope will always stay in) the honeymoon phase with my shiny new job at JPL to the point where I still sometimes scream my lungs out in the shower that I'm working on something that will be on another freakin' planet! It looks like my years of being a professional technogeek in tiny startups paid off big time! It's not often a person can say that they've made their 6-year-old self proud 😁
I mean, I'm not sure it beats working at a company with 50+ dogs wandering around the office (i.e. my old workplace), but it's pretty cool. 🤓
- Reading books (but not writing them, dammit)
- Earning airline miles
Was it made by Marvel, DC, or Joss Whedon? I probably watch(ed) it. Does it involve outer space, swords, the impending robot apocalypse, or all of the above? Ditto. Want a full list? Send me a message! It's too long for this section, but I love geeking out over TV shows. Currently engrossed in Critical Role and desperately wanting to run my own D&D campaign.
Matilda (ages 9-12), Ender's Game (ages 12-15), Dune (ages 15-18), and the A Song of Ice and Fire series (ages 18+). Recent honorable mentions: the Martian by Andy Weir, Seveneves by Neal Stephenson, Redshirts by John Scalzi, and the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey.
Inside-Out, Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero 6, WALL-E, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Iron Man, Avengers, Star Trek (2009), and every movie of the 90s Disney Renaissance.
Cantina music is appropriate for every occasion. Though recently, I've been listening and re-listening to the Hamilton Original Broadway Cast soundtrack.
The raw, uncooked flesh of large Pacific fish species, consumed atop a mound of boiled grass seeds after being dipped in fermented soybean juice (also known as sushi).
- My cameras
- My laptop (w/ associated accessories)
- My smartphone (aka my portable link to Wikipedia, aka the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
- My personal adventure kit (i.e. backpack with spare clothes, Nalgene bottle, toiletries, etc., for those unexpected trips)
- My bike
- Something to read
Six things that I don't own that I could never do without
- The great outdoors
- Bookstores (and libraries)
- Great science fiction/fantasy novelists to keep those bookstores filled
- Air travel
- Outer space
When I'll find someone to go to Disneyland/Wondercon/Comic Con with me
I know this doesn't really complete the phrase "On a typical Friday night I am...". I just wanted to make you jealous. 🤓
....you geek out about the things that you love
....you know where you are, where you want to go, and have a good idea of how to get there
Must love dogs. Or cats. Or anything with fur and a tail, really.