I have pretty strong opinions about things, but I'm always open to changing my mind given sufficient evidence. (I will probably not change my mind about my politics any time soon and will probably never not be a feminist and a leftist in that order.)
I really enjoy novelty; I always try to go to new places, try new things, hear new music, learn new skills, etc..
I try to love like I've never lost, and fight like I've never won.
Moved to the bay area early June, maybe leaving early September. Maybe not. I'd really like to find friends/comrades/partners who can help me get to know the place and people here better.
In my spare time I try to read, learn practical skills, and add capabilities to my physical form.
Writ large, what I'm trying to do with my life is trying to become a stronger, better person, help the people I love become stronger, better people, live through the adolescence of humanity, and have the maximum amount of optimal fun while doing so.
I'm good at staying open to novel experiences and plunging into situations that might make me uncomfortable but will give me something to remember.
I'm also typically the person in my group of friends that finds new music. I guess I'm good at keeping my ears open, though I also make an effort to find new music on a daily basis.
I'm good at instilling habits and keeping myself accountable. I'm good at keeping promises and secrets.
The only thing I want to be good at is winning any and every contest I set myself to.
My hair is still long, it's just less long. I think it's gone from mermaid-length to maybe Fabio-length. If I dare make that comparison.
The picture I have with the sunset is an accurate depiction of my hair as it currently exists.
Nonfiction: Expect Resistance; Recipes for Disaster; The C Programming Language; Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases
Fiction: HPMOR, Neuromancer, Quenta Silmarillion, most of Kafka
Movies: It's Such A Beautiful Day, cyberpunky stuff, anything with Nicholas Cage, but especially The Weather Man and Gone in 60 Seconds. I could watch In The Loop infinitely many times. Project X used to be first in this list, but the reasons I like it are complicated, and I didn't want to throw people off.
Shows: The Wire, Star Trek TNG, Serial Experiments Lain, the entire Stargate franchise. I try not to watch TV.
Music: wedidit collective, jamie XX's solo stuff, anything on the boiler room, Skepta/BBK/other grime. My new favorite is Alison Wonderland.
I'll eat anything vegan. I mostly eat Soylent.
I like to think that I can appreciate any sort of media or experience, whether it's predominantly good or bad, as long as it isn't boring.
Lately I've been reading pretty voraciously, it's great.
4. skinny jeans
6. Total cynicism for the present and complete optimism for the future
What I should be doing in life; whether my career is going well enough; typical things. Really, isn't most of what we think just sort of the static background of everyday life anyway? It's not really worth remembering or talking about.
Here are some things I don't spend a lot of time thinking about, but I really like thinking about and I'd love to talk about with people:
1. How to win political struggles; how to exert coercive pressure on state and nonstate actors
2. Building secret societies; keeping secrets; the value we place on knowing secrets
3. Why people do what they do, in terms of the actual causes versus the stated causes of actions, for various groups of people
4. What's the endgame of the geopolitical instability going on in Eurasia right now? When is it going to reach the US? How can it be exploited?
Also, how the fuck does okcupid tell who's "more experienced in life"? What cluster of questions is supposed to answer that?
I haven't had a monogamous relationship for a long time and generally prefer polyamory/non-monogamy (I also hate mixing greek and latin roots).
(also hpmor. I made like $50 off of bets on the ending arc. People on the internet are so dumb.)
* You recognize the quote my username is from (notice I say quote, not poem)
* You're serious about your hedonism and want someone to be serious about it with
* You like trying new things, and have a new thing you want to try with me
* You have a place where you want to watch the sun rise
* You want to watch the sun rise/set from a place we're not allowed to be
* You need a technical co-founder for your plan to take over the world
* You want to help me throw a rave in Argentina
* You can consult on ancient religions, or 90s military doctrine, or DoD SOPs on the strategic level, or astrophysics