Thanks to this approach to life, I have an odd mess of hobbies that I rotate as my obsession du jour. The only common theme is that I tend to personalize everything I do: I mod my own paintball guns, I design my own board games, the list goes on. So if I'm interested, you will be further customized to my liking;)
I rotate through a fairly random collection of hobbies: I got my blue in brazilian jiu-jitsu before stopping for a shoulder injury, which led to starting muay-thai. I paintball regularly when on the west coast, I go whitewater rafting when I can (which isn't much in NY), and I'm just cresting my way into being a SDK go player. My latest hobby is designing board games (I just got got my first one published and in stores!).
Interesting reads, but irritating people: Orson Scott Card, Ayn Rand.
Favorite movies: The Dark Knight, The Usual Suspects, Iron Man, The Thomas Crown Affair, Memento, The Matrix, The Illusionist, Under the Red Hood
Favorite anime: Death Note, Berserk, Kenshin, FMP Fumoffu, Hajime no Ippo, Hikaru no Go, Kare Kano (Yeah, I liked a girly anime. We're allowed one.)
TV series I'm currently watching: House of Cards, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Orange is the New Black, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead
TV series I will catch up on at some point: House, Sherlock, Homeland
Eating out: Brazilian BBQ, Korean BBQ, and any and all Japanese
Ordering in: Thai food
Cooking: Tenderloin with a pinot noir
2) Custom-made gadgets that I know are one-of-a-kind
3) Cast-iron and ceramic cookware, none of that teflon junk for me
4) Good sex (they say guys shouldn't mention sex, but if you've read this far in you're already interested, so I can say whatever I want now)
5) Good friends and family
6) Self-referential filler items.
- This scar turns red when I drink; I have my own built-in breathalyzer!
- Muffin tops really are the best part. Hey, if I had an oven in a zero-G environment, I could make muffin balls from suspended batter that were ALL muffin top. I need to inform NASA of this...
- Wow, I own way too much unnecessary electronic gadgetry.
- Would pikachu taste better served hot-pot style or as a burger?
- Where did this bruise come from? (Given some of the activities I engage in, this was inevitable...)
If I don't feel like leaving the apartment, I'll probably invite some friends over for dinner and movies or board games.
pri-vate, [prahy-vit] (adjective)
- not publically expressed
I suppose what people really want to know is the most embarassing thing I'm willing to admit. Unfortunately, I really don't have much of a sense of shame, so that's pretty tough too.
I could tell you about the time I showed some locals in Osaka what being an American is all about by getting kicked out of an all-you-can-eat BBQ for eating too much.
Or the time I got a bloody nose via collision with another guy's cup in a jiu-jitsu match (who feels the need to protect his balls with a solid steel cup anyway?)
Or the time I invited a homeless guy up for dinner and he robbed me and ran off while I was cooking (fortunately, it takes more than that to turn me into a cynic)
But clearly I don't consider any of that to be private.
You can suggest a new sport or hobby I'd probably become obsessed with for a few months. Or a new author or TV or anime series I'd like. Or a new board game. While not a requirement, having at least some nerd-cred goes a long way.
You want to join a playtest for my next upcoming boardgame. (This moves you to the front of the line, but if that's the first thing we do, then I'm probably not thinking of dating you.)
People seem to like to list their pet peeves here, but I don't really have any. Getting me interested is more about showing me what's cool about you than worrying about what annoying traits to avoid.