Ok so im a somewhat alternative kind of guy. I would say i'm at least on the cusp of alternative anyway. Im a photographer that loves his cinema, music, arts and 'geeky' type of pursuits as well as most sports (particularly Aussie Rules and Ice Hockey) and going out with friends for dinner, drinks, concerts and holidays.
Breaking Bad, The Wire, Buffy, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Seinfeld, Arrested Development, The Walking Dead, Carnivale, Boardwalk Empire, Freaks and Geeks, The I.T Crowd, Community, Black Books, Police 10-7, Spaced, Battlestar Galactica, Game Of Thrones, The Office, Six Feet Under, Rome, Trailer Park Boys, Twin Peaks, Planet Earth (etc)
This is an impossible task for me because i'm a total cinema freak so i'm just going to provide a cross section of stuff that i like.
Jaws, The Prestige, Coming To America, Once Upon a Time in the West, Ran, Leon: The Professional, Donnie Darko, Alien, The Dark Crystal, The Black Stallion, Rushmore, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Sunshine, Vertigo, Shaun of the Dead, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Conversation, My Neighbour Totoro and any Tarantino, Gilliam, Boyle, Nolan, Aronofsky, Miyazaki, Coen brothers or Wes Anderson films.
That legit made me feel sick, just making a list of films to represent me. It was pretty much a Sophie's Choice type situation.
Muse, Faith No More, Interpol, Queen, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Radiohead, Cream, Led Zepplin, Johnny Cash, Kate Bush, Wu-Tang, GZA, Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, Bowie, Tears For Fears, The Beach Boys, Gorillaz, Icehouse, Iggy Pop, The Killers, Journey, ELO, Midnight Oil, Crowded House, The Dears, Roxy Music, Sigur Ros, Silversun Pickups, Simple Minds, Split Enz, Stars, Talking Heads, Ween, Weezer and a lot of film scores by the likes of Joe Hisashi, Phillip Glass, Ennio Morricone, Hans Zimmer, Trevor Jones and Howard Shore.
I dont read as much as i would like to but i do have some favourites (nerd alert ahead).
Anything Tolkien since i was a kid so The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion etc. Im also Loving George R. Martins 'A Song of Fire and Ice' series. I don't mind the odd biography (Johnny Cash, Peter Jackson, Eric Clapton) , historical fiction/fantasy (Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, The Da vinci Code), Science (Pale Blue Dot, The Brain that Changes itself, A Brief History of time) or even straight up boring old History (Augustus, Flinders, The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail). I have a pile of 'serious' books that are waiting to be read like Catch 22, Cloud Atlas, Life of Pi, The Book thief.
The largest part of my book collection are a probably photography related i would have to say. I find them to be both a great inspiration and also i constant reminder of what a pathetic and worthless failure i am compared to my photographic heroes!
2. Sunglasses. I'm like some kind of underground dwelling creature that has never seen the true light of day. My eyes pretty much burst into flames and melt down the side of my face like that scene in Raiders if i don't have my sunnies.
3. Cinema. I live and breathe movies like some kind of weird X-files dork creature who's lifeforce is sustained by movies that for some reason cant be explained by science.
4. Friends. I just realised i took this question to mean what material things could i not do without... this explains a lot. Seriously my friends are like family. A family that don't annoy the shit out of me. Mostly.
5. My Cat. Thats right. I know its not really very manly to be this in love with a cat but i'm all about breaking down societies preconceptions.
6. My Passport. I love travel and if i couldn't take off and explore the world every so often it would be a very boring life. Which reminds me, i need to check if i'm allowed to return to New Zealand any time soon..