I have changed this profile quite a bit recently as I have been changing. Some men respond to their early 40s by buying a bunch of expensive toys, and attempt to recapture lost youth. I have been doing the opposite. I have been giving away and selling a lot of things, focusing more upon nature, embracing down-to-Earth pursuits, and focusing far less upon the glitter storm of social parties.
Today I am also reducing my time spent online, and spending more time on physical, real world pursuits and face-to-face interaction. Facebook and Okcupid will simply be tools I use to setup face-to-face connection, not a replacement for it.
If any of this really resonates with you, maybe you should contact me.
I have taken pride in being different. Much of the time, I look at the popular trends in society, at what the far right and far left are doing, and then choose to take my own path. I just find our society to be promoting a lot of greed, ignorance, rudeness, assumptions, conflict and violence.
So my response is to give away my stuff on regular basis, watch little TV, embrace being empathetic and polite, and try to avoid all forms of violent media/entertainment.
As for work, I have been an educator for 18 years, and currently develop education focused upon patient safety and healthcare worker safety. Believing in what I do (and the organization I work for) is very important to me.
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Series
The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama
Anything by Terry Pratchett
Movies and Documentaries:
All of the BBC Earth Series
Chronos, Baraka, Samsara
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Royal Tennenbaums, The Life Aquatic
The Big Blue
The Red Violin
Dances with Wolves
Fantasy Movies: Lord of the Rings, etc.
Nepali, Vietnamese, Korean, Spanish, Italian and Mexican Food
Good wine, fresh mozza and sunburst tomatoes
Various Star Trek Series
Otherwise, I watch very little TV because I find most shows to be increasingly violent, morbid, spreading fear or just annoying in how people communicate.
* open minded
* compassionate and giving
* into spending time in nature
* focused upon creating deeply meaningful connections and friendships
* open to discussion, but not into debating/arguing
* liberally minded, but not a Social Justice Warrior
(I find SJWs to be almost as mean-spirited, assumptive and bigoted as the far right)
* ok with dating someone who checks their messages once or twice a day
We will NOT be a good match if you are:
* seeking an old fashioned, traditional, strong and silent man
* overly possessive and not trusting
* conservative and/or religious
* prone to stereotyping and making assumptions about people
* racist, sexist or homophobic
* expecting me to be tethered to my phone and frequently checking for messages