1) I'm a genuinely good guy. I have my flaws like everyone else, but I care deeply for others and am always striving to learn and grow.
2) I love to create. Writing is one of my biggest passions. Even if I never make my living at it, it is something I believe I will always feel compelled to do.
3) I'm really funny! Now I know many people claim that and it turns out not to be true, but I swear I am. Just ask my niece and nephew. They find me hilarious!
4) I'm a thinker and a soul searcher (more on that to come).
5) I'm a loyal friend. A good percentage of my close friends are people I've known for over 25 years. I love this. It helps keep me grounded.
6) I have to admit I'm very opinionated. I'm working on it though. The good news is... I'm not actually as opinionated as I may seem; I think about everything people say to me. The bad news is... opinionated + writer = potentially annoying to see a movie with.
7) I love movies, theater, and music. It's not much of a revelation to say you love music, is it?
8) I'm passionate about almost everything. We could be talking about the crisis in the Middle East or the best taco in Los Angeles, and I'll be just as into it. Actually, I might be a little more into the taco.
9) I work hard to own my life completely and not blame circumstances or other people. Am I perfect at this? No. But I'm working on it!
10) I like making top ten lists.
Movies - I could go on and on! It's so hard to narrow it down, but here are a bunch of them: Amadeus, Network, Bonnie and Clyde, Rocky, Breaking Away, Bull Durham, Defending Your Life, Muriel's Wedding, American Splendor, Trainspotting, Kramer vs. Kramer, The Hustler, Squid and the Whale, loving Ramin Bahrani's movies, also Tom McCarthy's, Hannah and Her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors, it's cliched but The Godfather, Raging Bull, This is Spinal Tap, Jaws. Should I move on to documentaries? That's a whole new list.
Music - My favorites are Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Joni Mitchell, early Stevie Wonder, Radiohead, and The Clash. But I like most types of music, and I'm really wanting to know more new music. So if you have any great suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Food - I love food! My favorites are Thai, Mexican, and Indian, but I like almost every kind of food. I do try to balance it out with eating pretty healthy.
6) Health insurance
Then there's the things-I-get-deep-value-from-and-might-impress-a-potential-mate-with list:
1) Friends and family, especially my niece and nephew
2) Expressing myself creatively
3) Spiritual/personal development
4) Giving and receiving love
5) My sense of humor
6) Gratitude for getting to experience life (was that one a bit much?)
And lastly, there's the fun list:
1) A great breakfast burrito
2) Louis C.K.
3) Bluetooth in my car
4) My local farmers market on Sundays
5) Tacos (seeing a theme here?)
6) Shark Tank (I wish I could pick a loftier show, but it's just too good!)
- I've said for years that I wanted to date someone who is spiritual but not religious. I've come to realize what I really mean is that I want to date someone who is open-minded, someone who is self-reflective and committed to growing as an individual.
- I like very honest people who are forthright. This doesn't mean someone with no tact, but someone who is communicative.
- If you are intelligent, genuine, warm, and kind, I'd love to hear from you!
Also, as much as I'm interested in a long-term relationship (and I am), I am happy to start off as friends and see where and if it goes anywhere. There's a BIG part of me that feels this is the best way to get to know someone. There's another part of me the would love to experience such intense chemistry and connection that we couldn't even consider trying to be friends first. :)