* Humanist, technologist, and amateur scientist *
* romantic who believes in lasting commitment *
* feminist yet admirer of pinup girls, goth girls, cosplayers *
* don't-believe-in-the-no-win-scenario would-be starship captain *
* fast Prius driver *
My interests are varied. I enjoy amusement parks (my inner child screams "Roller coasters rule!"), Renaissance festivals, and games nights with friends. I almost crave conversations requiring depth of thought in addition to playful banter.
With only a few exceptions, I rarely get along with people my own age or older, so my friends tend to be in their late-20s to mid-30s. I'm future-focused, always trying to keep a sense of youthfulness and optimism. I have never desired meaningless passion, preferring to start as friends, allowing intimacy to develop naturally.
I am contemplative, compassionate, and imaginative with a touch of playfulness and kink. Protean Star Stuff is my tumblr. Don't judge me too harshly for my love of pinup girls -- I tend to believe most women have an inner pinup just waiting to play.
In case it matters to you, my personal motto is: Learn from the past, look to the future, and act in the present. It captures my intent to not repeat past mistakes, to always remain goal-oriented, and to never lose my grip on the here-and-now.
(Up-front note: I'm married to Brunhilde but the relationship is 'just friends' now. A divorce is planned but pragmatic issues are delaying it. I am "available" in the same way a single person with kids would be.)
Movies: The more “grown-up” ones are Arrival, Contact, Serendipity (yes, I actually do like it), and the conversation-inspiring The Man From Earth. The animated ones include Home, Epic, and Big Hero 6. I also enjoy the Iron Man, Thor, and Avenger movies.
Shows (assuming TV variety): Babylon 5 (because it was written and mostly flows as a story), the various Star Trek incarnations, the Stargate variations, Doctor Who, Warehouse 13, Big Bang Theory, Sherlock, and most recently, Timeless.
Music: A wide variety from trance to alternative to new age, but not so much rap or country.
Food: Home-made french fries and some type of meat (while taking note of its carbon footprint), with a healthy side of veggies! Although I really like fruits & vegetables, I have to occasionally feed my "inner carnivore" or he gets a little cranky... like a ravenous T-rex!
1) Sense of self (enlightened self-interest, I hope)
5) Fun, enjoyable food
6) Life, Liberty, & the Pursuit of Happiness.
I think a lot about how STEM (and, with art, STEAM) education can inspire successive generations to create/build/transform civilization. And how I can help.
I'm not always serious minded. Sometimes, I think about what it would be like to put voice-activated robotic arms under a conference table. Then, during a planning meeting, when someone uses the word 'innovate' for the umpteenth time, I could shout: “Release the Kraken!”
And, not that I'm saying I am a Time Lord, but it should be noted that the Doctor and I have never been seen in the same location at the same time. Something to be pondered, indeed!
For any (or all) of the following, contact me if you:
* Want to go to a festival, a park, the aquarium, science center, museum, etc.
* Would be excited to be in the Moon's shadow during the Great American Solar Eclipse.
* Want to have weekend marathons of Babylon 5 (or other series).
* Want to co-create STEM/STEAM education materials.
* Can help develop social models in an attempt to create a real-world psychohistory.
* Can help me write the (potentially open-source) software to simulate those social models.
And I'm provisionally “all yours” if you are the quirky redhead, with purple bangs, from the future who came back in time to give me the winning lottery numbers.