My hardest earned lesson has got to been how to err on the quirky side rather than the neurotic side of the line. . .the results have been pretty good so far. Being eccentric, I've decided, is what happens when the neurotic grow up.
My sense of humor has been described as drier than the Sahara. I think that was a compliment. I often have to explain to people that, "yes, I was kidding about that. . . " Those close to me tend to get it, perhaps you will too? Related thought: maybe a font designer could come up with a snark font.
A love of the absurd, I've decided, is the surest way to shore up my sanity. It's kind of nice to be an optimistic existentialist. Seriously.
Since lots of folks like to include it on here I'm and INTP and enneagram 5w4. I suppose that means when I'm functioning well I'm an iconoclastic architect of ideas. And, when I'm doing poorly I'm a spiteful loner. . . Don't worry I trend towards the former more than 98% of the time these days.
It seems lots of you beautiful folk miss the fact that I'm in a wheelchair. It's a fairly recent thing in my life, which is why I have to apologize for only having one (crappy) picture up of myself in the chair. It's not an issue for me, if it's not an issue for you!
Also, the fact that I roll around in a wheelchair. Life kind of threw me a curve ball on that one.
FYI--I have a hard time understanding people that don't read. As noted American philosopher, auteur, and cultural critic John Waters said, "If you go home with someone and they don't have books, don't fuck 'em!"
I'll also confess that I have a secret soft spot in my heart for the hilarity that are chick tracts.
Movies: The Big Lebowski, Party (The Peter Sellers Movie), Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange. I think the trend is that I like movies with lots of great one liners.
Music: This could be a long list. . .I tend to go in phases. Right now seems to be my WWI french chanson phase. Before that it was underground hip hop. . . and before that it was early folk/country. . .
Notably missing from my album collection, however, are jam bands. This will never change.
food: SUSHI! and many others.
3. I hate to admit it, but my car.
4. Teh innerwebs.
6. Good company.
1. How to be better.
2. Existentialism as a means of empowerment and happiness (it's not a paradox, trust me).
3. What it'll be like to not have student loans someday.
4. The sorry state of the country.
5. sex (who doesn't?)
7. Zen and existentialism.
8. History (mostly international lately).
9. How to promote healthy, affirming and positive sexuality.
10. How to help promote healthy and affirming body image.
11. Where gender roles meet biology, and how to negotiate that.
12. Understanding whether morality is an action or a state of being, or both.
13. How to understand human dignity as an atheist.
14. How to be an atheist without proselytizing, but demanding respect for my views.
15. Pretty girls.
16. What books I need to read.
17. What the next steps should be in my life.
18. How to be supportive of my clients and realistic at the same time.
19. The edges of tough love and meanness, and the usefulness of either.
20. Being a man and a feminist.
21. The war.
22. International relations.
23. The birth of the subject in a hegelian, nietszchean, freudian way.
24. The intersections of religion, politics, and ethics.
25. If I do enough good in the world.
26. Distinguishing between altruism and martyrdom.
27. How to make all my computer stuff open source.
28. Whether I'm too old to be considered a nerd at this point.
29. Civil liberties and the principles embodied in the constitution.
30. Money, and how to square idealism against legitimate financial concerns.
31. How my thoughts on all of the above can be as amusing as they can be serious.
32. The intersections between neurology, biology, and the mind.
etc, ad infinitum
Some Fridays, though, I just like to hang out with my friends playing scrabble or something.
I really do pride myself on flexibility. . .
I'm not necessarily as vanilla as I look. . .
Despite being in a wheelchair I'm still capable of having sex. . .
I probably care more than I let on.
and. . .
You understand that there are plenty of different ways to have meaningful relationships.